Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 tabbies (Gordon & Ramsay)
13-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #71

Re: Moggies... is it ever right to breed them?

I wouldn't do it if there was ANY risk involved but as you said, that's what makes you different.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
13-05-2006, 03:43 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola
I wouldn't do it if there was ANY risk involved but as you said, that's what makes you different.
There are a whole host of risks involved with breeding. If you aren't prepared to take the risks then breeding is definitely not for you. If I wasn't prepared to take the risks then I wouldn't breed cats or dogs as there is no way you can breed without there being very real risks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
13-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #73

Quote:
This is Maud's third litter Dawn. 2 accidental litters and this one was 'planned' She had one live kitten from her first whom I kept. So as it stands presently she has three kittens in new homes so far. Two of those went together and I know exactly where they all are and receive regular updates as I will from these three I have now when they go to their new homes. I can't speak for others on here but from my own experience I am out of pocket rearing kittens rather than reverse. Maud had mastitis last litter, the vet bill alone was more than I received for the kittens putting aside what it cost me to feed them and mum. Maud has not been well also this litter and I already have a £75 vet bill for her, the kittens will be vet checked next week that will cost me. I have paid for wormer, frontline spray and lots and lots of kitten food for mum and now babies. The babies also have goats milk which doesn't come cheap. So how you could possibly think I will make any money out of the kittens is quite beyond me

I say again I KNOW care is NOT an issue. 2 accidental litters Fran IMO is 2 too many. Re the illness poor Maud has to suffer, that also is not acceptable IMO, mastitis is terribly painful, how could you do it to her again? I dont understand, if its not for the money what is it? Obviously you did not bank on her being ill for this "planned" litter so what was the inclination to do it, knowing she was ill last time? It sounds like I am having a go at you now, and I dont mean to, I am just interested in your reasons for doing it to a pet moggy.

Please forgive the questions Fran, I do value your opinion on anything, i think you are very experienced and knowledgable, but one other thing puzzles me, you said previously that you have people waiting for a grey kitten, you had no problem finding Clooney in a very short space of time, so there is obviously no shortage of grey moggies being produced by one means or another, why would you then state this as a reason for mating Maud yet again?
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
13-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
I say again I KNOW care is NOT an issue. 2 accidental litters Fran IMO is 2 too many. Re the illness poor Maud has to suffer, that also is not acceptable IMO, mastitis is terribly painful, how could you do it to her again? I dont understand, if its not for the money what is it? Obviously you did not bank on her being ill for this "planned" litter so what was the inclination to do it, knowing she was ill last time? It sounds like I am having a go at you now, and I dont mean to, I am just interested in your reasons for doing it to a pet moggy.

Please forgive the questions Fran, I do value your opinion on anything, i think you are very experienced and knowledgable, but one other thing puzzles me, you said previously that you have people waiting for a grey kitten, you had no problem finding Clooney in a very short space of time, so there is obviously no shortage of grey moggies being produced by one means or another, why would you then state this as a reason for mating Maud yet again?
Dawn.
I have already explained about the illness issue in a previous post. Grey kittens are quite hard to find. We were lucky with Clooney but did have to travel a very long way to go and get him and there really aren't very many around. When we got Maud, I wanted a boy but she was the only grey kitten I found after looking for about 12 months

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
13-05-2006, 04:02 PM   #75

If it wasn't for someone crossing a snow bengal with a BSH silver tabby I wouldn't have two of my lovely cats, I personally love the look of my cats the striking colour of the snow bengal with the more rounded features of the BSH cat and the temperament is fantastic. Incidently I have read that some bengal breeders have tried to breed in a little BSH, though it is has been scorned by other bengal breeders.

We took as much time & care choosing our crosses as we did our pedigree cat and previously moggies bearing in mind how long they can live, how much they cost to keep, which as we all know here is a hell of a lot.

I don't see the problem lying so much with people who breed cats whether pedigree or pedigree crosses, a breeder of pedigree or cross pedigree cats will not let his cats roam and just mate with anything. The problem lies more with irresponsible owners who let there un-speyed or un-neutered cats out resulting in un-wanted litters and very often ferral litters.

Also not all pedigree breeders are good breeders and readily get rid of their cats when they're no more use for breeding, or before when they realise the work involved in breeding.

And I am not one to think that you can make a profit at breeding either the costs are enormous - cat litter, making kittening pens, cat food, cat litter, litter boxs, kitten packs, worming tablets, flea treatment, vet fees, advertising and probably a new sofa lol.

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
13-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #76

Can we keep this discussion non-personal please.

Also, when someone says they are not reffering to anyone in particular they may be being polite knowing that a certain situation/circumstance may be similar to someone's on the board. You may of course answer such posts, but don't assume you were being reffered to, as of course, that may not nesc be the case.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
13-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I wasn't insinuating that you were having a go at me in particular Kim but I obviously fall under the bracket of 'purposefully bred moggies' so I am included in anything you have to say on the subject.

With regard to my quote, it was more to illustrate that it isn't fair to disrupt member's threads. If you don't agree with pictures of their kittens then just ignore the post rather than spoiling the thread and upsetting the op. Discussions of this type should be in threads like this not someone's personal kitten thread
I wasn't even aware Fran that you purposefully breed moggies. No I don't agree then, but that's my opinion and not an attack on you personally. I am sure you are very responsible, I have never suggested that anyone here isn't responsible.

Az has already made it clear (his job, not yours) that it wasn't appropriate for my comments to be on that pictures thread, and my post was deleted as a result. I accept that. Hence why my comments are now in this thread. I love kittens and love looking at photos of them, but that's not the issue as I'm sure I have made clear. Like Dawn, having worked in rescue and seen it from that perspective I do now have strong feelings about it and will speak my mind for which I don't apologise for, but that doesn't make me 'high & mighty'. However, if any of my comments have upset anyone I apologise, that is definitely not my intention.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
13-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #78

persoanlly i dont give a rats butt if a cat is pedigree, moggie, half pedigree or wahtever, as long as it has been bred responsibly, with love and careand NOT jsut for financial gain.

As said many times over there are awfull moggie breeders, but also terrible pedigree breeders.

I dont agree with purpsefully letting your cat out to get pregnant when in call.

but I love moggies as much as any other cats.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
13-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #79

I have to say that I am against breeding any cat except responsible pedigree breeders. I also feel that all breeders should be licensed and all owners should pay a license fee. All monies from the fee scheme should go towards policing the breeders.

Foofoo obviously came from a backstreet breeder - she was dumped in a field near a busy A road, intact nearing 8 years of age. When my vet spayed her she said her uterus was extremely enlarged more than likely as a result of being in season too many times.

You only have to look at freeads to see how many people are in it for the money especially the age they allow kittens to leave mum. This resulting in behaviourial problems which remain with the cat for life.

There is no way nonbreeds will 'die out' due to the feral colonies and why can't the dsh prefix be classified as a breed anyway?

I believe the new laws coming in require licensing so we will see how it all works.........

I absolutely adore all cats whatever the breed, I obviously have a fave and would have loved to have a persian kitten. But, there are way too many older cats in rescue desperate for a 2nd chance. My three babes were all 2nd chancers and I can honestly say you would never know I hadn't had them from kittens. I know all adopters would share that experience.

Edited to add: Just reread that and realised it sounds as if I am anti pedigree kitten buying - that isn't the case just my personal choice.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
13-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #80

Oh poor Foofoo...what an awful thing to happen to her. How is she now???

Closed Thread