Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
06-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #1

Bathed Kirah and Lyle

Tonight I bathed Kirah and Lyle for the first time . They have a show booked in a couple of weeks so I thought I better start getting them used to it.

Kirah was her usual naughtie tortie self. she wasn't to bad in the bath although she did knock the shampoo/shower gel bottles everywhere then tried play with the shells . Drying was a different matter however. Kirah decided that she didn't need to be dried and thought it was much more fun to knock all the cotton buds out of the container, chew the comb, play with the hairdryer wire and try and eat the cotton wool pads. We did get finished in the end .

Lyle, on the other hand, was a perfect gentleman. He just sat there in the bath gently pawing the shower head . When it came to drying him he just lay between my legs and let me dry him and comb him. He even tilted his head to each side so I could do under his chin . It took me just over 2 hours to bath and dry the two of them which wasn't too bad for a first attempt so hopefully it will continue to be as good.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-08-2008, 11:41 PM   #2

Re: Bathed Kirah and Lyle

I know it's a regular thing for show cats Kay - did you manage it single handed? They are good cats!

I have only ever bathed Merlin once and that was a necessity as he had got something nasty and greasy all over his back. I phoned the vet to ask what to use and they said Swarfega followed by baby shampoo (this was many years ago) but I had to get my mum to come round and it was still a bit of a battle until we got to the drying - all wrapped up in a towel and sat by the radiator and Merlin started to purrrr. All the thanks I needed really.

Catsey Veteran

07-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #3

Yes I did manage single handed, Angie, just as well here as I don't think I would have got the help even if I needed it!!!

Persians are generally laid back and are probably the best breed to prepare for a show. Just as well really as they take the longest. Afully grown cat in full grown can take between 3-4 hours to prepare fully depending on the coat texture.

Your vet was very right in telling you what to use as it is really hard to get something like that out of a coat with normal cat shampoo. Tate suffers with stud cat tail where his tail gets very greasy. When I was showing him I used to rub neat lemon washing up into the greasy parts and then wash it through. After that was done I would bath him normally. I am sure Merlin really appreciated the bath once it was over. Sometimes it is necessary to bath a cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #4

3-4 hours Kay??!!

Dedication indeed! I should think all the cats and their people should get medals for endurance!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #5

What well-behaved babies!

I think I've only bathed Balie about once or twice when he had a claggy waggy; he was terrified and just sat there! Fifi is a serial mucky-bummed girl and gets washed a couple of times a year . . . and it's a battle. I've given up blow drying them now as it scares them and scars me

Still I suppose if I were showing them I'd have to, it must be a real labour of love

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
07-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #6

I hope Bam Bam is as good as Lyle...............

Catsey Veteran

07-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #7

I love bathing the cats and grooming them and generally if you are relaxed they are too.

Candice I am sure Margaret will have got Bam Bam used to show preparation. You will be brilliant. I would bath him ever week if I were you as it encourages the coat to grow. Good Luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
09-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #8

I have yet to bath Posh, she's never got that dirty (yet) or had 'claggy waggy' (love it)
Can't say I would want to, she's not keen on water. It's raining heavens hard here today and she got her paws wet on the doorstep;oh dear madam was not amused!