Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
14-12-2006, 11:11 PM   #11

Re: Why are Black cats hard to rehome?

As most of you know, my elderly girl Lucky was black. I lost her almost 12 months ago now. She was 18 years old and was my soulmate, my life. She was so very special, not like any other cat I have ever owned. I personally would struggle to take on another black cat as I would always be comparing it to Lucky but my advice to anybody considering getting a kitty would be to get a black one

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
06-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #12

I prefer Black Cats Pousse is the fourth one I've had and Claude who lives with my parents (when I left home it wasn't fair to separate him from his pals) is one of the bestest cats I've had My little sister also has a black cat so that's three in our family at the moment.

But all the rescue centres I contacted when I got Pousse have said blacks are harder to rehome. Maybe one reason why is that people worry they may be run over more easily because of their colour. I know my sis doesn't like Scampi going out after dark in case of this

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
06-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Joking aside though, do you think its coz of stupid superstition? Is it possible that there is such a serious undercurrent of racism that it affects the colour of animal you have?
I do actually remember a local facist saying to me, "trust you to get a black one" when I got Bernie.
Definitely don't think it has anything to do with racism. I think it is purely and simply the fact that they don't stand out - they are perceived as "ordinary" no distinguishing features - not pretty. To my shame I would never have chosen a black or black and white kitten but would always prefer a tabby or ginger or torty etc, but since getting my little Alfie (all black) I am a complete convert. He is the nicest, cuddliest, ameanable cat you could wish to have and I love him to bits!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
06-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #14

i have no idea why this is but i love my black cat spike

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
06-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #15

my first ever cat was black, his name was tiddles (dont laugh LOL)

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
06-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #16

I love Jet, she is my first cat given to me by a friend who didnt want her, but not because of her colour. I never thought of her colour and it wasnt an issue.

The only thing I dont like is trying to see where she is in the garden at night.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 Good 'ol Moggies =)
06-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #17

I could have a house full of blacks/tuxedo's, they're my favourit but sadly to narrow minded people they just are not 'unique' enough =(

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #18

Well I beleive that mine are unique and i wouldnt change them for the world.
I dont, however, let them out in the dark. I'd never see them out there lol and Eva, being a little minx, would find it hilarious to trip me up or something.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #19

I think they ARE perceived as 'invisible' somehow. I had a black bruiser that I took in as a stray and he was such a special, loving and beautiful boy I would not hesitate in taking on another black cat if and when the opportunity arose.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy
07-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #20

Hi, i love black cats.
They are so adorable.
I myself have black cats but my mum has different colour cats.
I grew up with a black cat and so did my lil bro and when he died it was a really bad time as he was same age (human years) as my lil bro.
I have a black cat called puss and he is lovely but is very old now.