Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2
12-12-2005, 05:42 PM   #1

What do you think?

This is from another new forum & very intereting.

Pet Shop & Commerical Breeders Tax

Research has shown that between 80-90% of the rodents in rescue originated from a pet shop sale. RAWA believes that pet shops and commercial breeders should be required to pay a tax added to their licence fee to help support the animals in rescue.

Providing the new animal welfare bill is passed this will require all animal rescues to be licensed, in turn these licensed rescues can apply to their local authority to claim their share of this tax.

The amount of the tax will be calculated on the number of animals the shop is licensed to hold or the number of breeding females owned. There will be an administration fee added to the tax so not to affect the amount rescue receive. The amount a rescue is entitled to will be calculated on the number of animals they are able to hold and other costs entailed with running a rescue such as rent and rates.

This tax is vitally needed as small independent rodent rescues rely on donations to continue their work, while the pet shops and commercial breeders are making money from the sale of animals. This tax will help rescues with the costs involved of running the centre and caring for the animals.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
12-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #2

Re: What do you think?

Well, if I ruled the world, as the old song goes, breeding would be really tightly controlled and owning an un-neutered dog or cat (don't know the practicalities of the small ones) almost eliminated. Breeders would be licensed and would pay an enormous amount for their licence - ?£1000.

But I don't rule the world...........In the interim this sounds a good 'sticky plaster' move.

Catsey Junior

12-12-2005, 05:50 PM   #3

The link that was removed was to apettition not a forum ....if anyone wants to view the petition PM me & will send it

Ta much

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #4

Does this new ruling apply to just rodents or all small animals MBll?

Catsey Junior

12-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #5

If anyone is interested in this you could email me