Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tabby
06-11-2014, 11:55 PM   #1

Odd peeing behavior

Heeeeeello everyone!

I am new to the forums and straight in there with an odd question. We have a young 9 month old kitten/young cat who has been behaving oddly.

She is an extremely lovely and very affectionate, she is truly a joy to be around. However, for the past few (2)months she has been peeing around the house. Not just at random places but she seems to be picking places where we (my husband and I) have been sitting or are sitting at the time.

Now, I am familiar with researching so let me answer some questions or suggestions that might come up.

1. Litterbox: has never ever been changed, brandwise. Is always cleaned. She has the box to herself as she is the only cat. AND (this is the weird thing) she also goes on the box. She literally goes on the box and then proceeds to pee in the house.

2. She appears to be calm and and relaxed. Her tail, body language and behavior suggests no stress.

3. She has been spayed.

4. We are currently using a Feliway defuser to see if it makes a difference.

A little bit of background info (might not have anything to do with the situation) I suffered a miscarriage 3 months ago with horrible aftercare, which has led to several bleeds and infections. These have also been hormonal.

I hope someone can give me some advice. I absolutely adore the cat and I don't want to get rid of her but the husband is running short on patience!

Thank you for any help.
Saskia

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
07-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #2

Re: Odd peeing behavior

Hello Saskia, welcome to catsey.
I am sorry to hear about your miscarriage and hope you are feeling a bit better now.
I'm sorry but i cant really suggest much. It does sound as if she is marking for some reason.We had two neutered toms who would occasionaly spray us, especialy if we had just put clean clothing on. Is she squating to wee or spraying ?
Maybe she has a urine infection , a vet check up may be in order.
Wash any areas with biological washing powder as this gets rid of the scent.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
07-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

Just read what Shelley has put. We took Fecto to the vet for the same thing and he did have a urinary tract infection. Perhaps she has picked up on the stress you must have suffered or she's a bit jealous that's why she is weeing where you have been. Is there an animal communicator or cat behaviourist near you that could help?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
07-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

My Harris when he was 5.5month had an issue like this, he would go in his tray but would also try and pee on the floors and rugs. It also turned out he had Cystitis. Like others have said too, she may be picking up on the stress at home just now. Please dont give up on her, she will get there

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
08-11-2014, 04:39 AM   #5

Our Timmy has did this several times and each time it was a urinary tract infection. Cats don't always drink enough - Timmy does drink but obviously not enough. I now supplement his drinking with a tin of tuna in spring water a couple of times a week. I didn't catch on the first time it happened until the poor wee man was passing blood in the litter box. The last twice he has peed inappropriately I was on the ball right away.

Would definitely urge you to get a Vet check up - Timmy was sore to vet palpating his bladder area so it's easy enough for the vet to check it out.

If you have ever had cystitis yourself, you will know how uncomfortable it is.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
09-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #6

I would think you cat has definitely picked up on your recent miscarriage and following issues. I've heard of something similar happening to someone else.

Do you have many scratchers or scent soakers for her?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short-haired cats
15-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #7

Hi and welcome!
Have you take him to the vet to get his urine checked?
I too think it might have something to do with your miscarriage. Animals pick up on things pretty good.
I assume there weren't a lot of people home at the time you were in the hospital?

Cats owned: A tabby and all black
11-12-2015, 02:48 AM   #8

This is going to sound like a completely bizarre question (and will probably go unnoticed, since I'm really late in posting this), but are you the Saskia that appeared on SSvsSS?