Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
15-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #1

Assisted televised suicides

What do you think to assisted televised suicides? (In general I'm talking)

I don't have a problem with people committing suicide if that's what they want, but I don't agree with it being shown on TV or on the internet.

I can see where people are coming from with both sides of the argument for assisted suicides: on one side there's the problem of other people deciding when it's others time to go and "helping" them go (or murdering them, depending on your point of view) but on the other hand, if someone's in pain and there's no way of them getting better, then it's fairer to let them go if they want to.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #2

Re: Assisted televised suicides

I wouldn't like to see assisted suicides become regular TV viewing fodder, however I fully understand that this was used by the family as a means of raising awareness of the issue which (IMO misguidedly) is illegal in the UK and much of Europe.

I fully support voluntary euthanasia in the case of terminal illness or radically life-altering illnesses. I appreciate that there are many safety and verification features that need to be put in place to ensure there is no misuse or abuse of the process.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
15-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #3

Ditto.

Apparently the public view is now well over 60% in favour of assisted suicide, so I'm sure it will become possible in the relatively near future.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #4

Agree completely with Yola and DM.

Catsey Veteran

15-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #5

Well it's not much of a debate then is it LOL!!! So far we're all in agreement

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #6

'fraid I agree too! Life at any cost or suffering is a horrible idea and I would prefer a more humane approach - obviously with all necessary safeguards in place. My only doubt is about people with dementia - where do you draw the line?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
15-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #7

me too.................
Having nursed someone thru a terminal illness and watch them fade away from a strong, outgoing confident person to a literal shell of their former self, I can't see how that can be called quality of life.

Catsey Veteran

15-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
'fraid I agree too! Life at any cost or suffering is a horrible idea and I would prefer a more humane approach - obviously with all necessary safeguards in place. My only doubt is about people with dementia - where do you draw the line?
Dementia is a difficult one. I don't have personal experience (I know you do), but my ex-MIL who I still see around town cared for her older husband for several years, it took it out of her to an extent I wouldn't have believed; she was an incredibly strong woman. She is a devout catholic but I suspect in her heart of hearts she, knowing her husband for all those years, would be able to help make the judgement on whether there was any quality of life left for him. And you know it'll never get better

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
15-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #9

I do not agree with a public display of assisted suicide but Im going to sit on the fence with regards to my opinion on it

On one hand, I see terrible suffering in the patients that I treat who die a painful and harrowing death and their families who sit and watch it happen and we are going through it at this very moment with my MIL. On the other hand, who are we to play god to decide when someone dies? What right do we have to decide when someone else dies? How can we tell if they are making an informed choice?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #10

I agree with assisted suicides ONLY if the patient can clearly and succintly state their wishes. For example Diane Pretty (I think that was her name), the lady suffering from motor neurone disease fought for years to be given the right to choose when her life ended, and yet was denied. WHY? This was an intelligent woman who knew her own mind and did not want to suffer any prolonged illness. However in the cases of people in comas etc, then euthanasia should not be carried out as they cannot express that wish.