Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-08-2006, 11:10 PM   #21

Re: Houseful of oldies

Stupid reason!! Not even a real reason!!
She looks gorgeous!
I wish I could take more, I would have even more of a housefull!! But already having 6 dogs and 2 cats I would not have enough time (or energy) to give each of the quality time and attention.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-08-2006, 02:47 AM   #22

What goes around comes around....maybe when he's old his children will put him in a home because he's "tying them down" !!! AAARGHH!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
Here is Tiger, the one I picked up yesterday - it did break my heart though, as she was crying, and the poor thing had had one owner from being a kitten, so her whole world has been turned upside down.

Sorry but I couldn't do what you do rescue; I would have decked the bloke there and then (having got him to sign over the cat first of course) how could you leave a cat you've raised for 13 years nothing on God's earth would make me give up my two; nothing in the World - this sort of attitude beggars belief but I imagne it is more commnplace than I and any rational person could imagine.

I hope she finds a home worthy of her soon - I tell you thats one thing I think I may find myself doing going into a rescue and saying who's your longest stay oldie (and bearing inmind the dogs) bringing them home and letting them live theirs lives out in safety and security with a little bit of TLC thrown in for good measure.

Thank you for being there as their safety net, Karen

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
13-08-2006, 09:20 AM   #24

I dont think violence is the way - and he was late 60's, early 70's, so couldn't have done it, I was brought up to respect my elders. I Can't imagine how people can do it, as I know I couldn't, but sadly there are so many people in the world who dont think of their pets the same way as we do. And it is very commonplace - she is the 4th that my vet has rang me about this year - an average of one every 2 months, and that is just one small vet in one small area. Sadly 2 were too ill to be rehomed, but the other 2 got a chance, and that is why I do it.

I am sure she will find a home, and if not, she will become another long termer (not that I want another one, as 6 is my limit for cats - well, at the moment anyway, amazing how limits can be broken, it was 5 up until the end of last year)I Wish more people would go to rescues and take on the older cats, fortunately there are some. I would love to go to one of my local rescues and take on one of their oldies, but I dont think I will be going to a rescue for years for a cat, they keep finding me!!

Almost a Veteran Member

17-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #25

Well, her owner told me she wasn't friendly and he couldnt stroke or brush her. She isnt' overly affectionate, but she does allow me to stroke her head, and I stopped this morning and seh gently nudged me to continue, plus she was purring. Only lasted about 5 mins, and then she tried to attack me, but i think it is looking quite positive. Sometimes she refuses to go back in the cage and we have a fraught time as she will try and claw me, but I am just going to start enticing her with food - only thing is I dont want her eating too much, as she is used to going outside, so she is more likely to put weight on. Hopefully it wont be that hard to find her a new home.
Edited to add - we have had a fab night, she came out and rubbed against my legs a few times, had a bit of a chat with me, didn't go all that bonkers when teh hoover was on, and when it was time for her to go back, i actually managed to pick her up, give her a quick kiss and ptu her in - and she didn't swipe at me when I shut the cage door!!! So I obviously didn't annoy her all that much doing it. I do have to say that I had my doubts as to how 'non friendly' this cat was as I picked her up, put her in the carrier, and she did allow me to fuss her afterwards, and i also got to fuss her and give her a quick brush when she arrived

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 domestic shorthaired
01-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #26

they are wonderful cats you have there!
I lost my Mog this year at the grand age of 22!!

Almost a Veteran Member

03-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #27

I am not sure how well we are going to find Tiger a home - I Was told her owner couldn't stroke her - I can, as long as she is in the cage, she is very affectionate then. LEt her out, she will brush against you, sit on the stairs, and if you try and stroke her then, she will snap at you - and at 13, I Dont hold any hope in taming her down. I Will give it another two weeks before talking to the rescue as to whether we just integrate her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #28

If she has been uprooted after 13 years in the same environment it may take her a good several months to settle down and 'trust' again. I think patience is needed and I suspect that she may be happier being rehomed as an only cat in a non-cat/dog/child household.

Almost a Veteran Member

03-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #29

Cheers. I think the main prob we are going to have is actually finding someone willing to take on a 13 year old who will need time and patience, as it is kitten season - Tom has been on the list since Jan, although we have had some enquiries for him. We did home a 12 yo last year though. i am just wondering if letting her integrate and have outdoor access might just help her to settle, and then we can see about homing her. We only let long termers have outdoor access though, and I dont really want another long termer.