Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
11-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #1

Some new additions.

We have added to our family, by 6 possibly 7!
We went to the rare breed sale, and there were ex laying commercial ducks, a year old. They were being sold in crates of 5, and as we were thinking of getting more ducks (we love duck eggs) we thought it would be nice to give commercial birds a second chance. I don't know how well they have been kept, but don't expect it was free range as the guy sells them by the 500. They certainly didn't seem very water proof when they went into the trays of water we put in. They are in the stables (quarantine), along with Quaffle, a lonely saxony drake who was going to be sold for pennies. They seem very happy together, although the girls didn't know what to think when they were put in with such a handsome boy.
And finally, number 7, a very difficult decision. We were asked to take on a pony, who belongs to an elderly couple, who can't catch him. He is about 10-15 years old, has concussive laminitis- and his feet haven't been done for about 14 weeks, he's thin, scared and has't been groomed for years. It was my blacksmith who called me, and he has offered to do his feet every 2-3 weeks for free if we take him, so we've said yes. However there are also 2 welshie mares, who are verging on dangerous as well and if nowhere can be found they will be PTS, as will be this pony if we don't take him. I have given the balcksmith the names of a few rescues in the hope that they can help,but if they can't I will feel so guilty- its almost like we are cherry picking, but we don't have the time for three problem horses.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #2

Re: Some new additions.

I honestly can't see why you are so hard on yourself, farthing! And a while ago you were questioning whether you could morally call yourself a sanctuary!!!!

Lol! What a lovely happy day for those ducks - would love to see pix of them (I love ducks!)

As for those horses? Well, if you know you can cope with them. They sound as if you could possibly be putting yourselves in danger ...... can't say I'd accuse you of "cherrypicking"!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #3

Bless you for rescuing those poor ducks and the pony, farthing! You are indeed a sanctuary in my eyes! I hope the rescues can help with the other two; you can only do so much....especially if they're dangerous.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
12-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #4

Have you (or someone else ) tried BHS welfare or ILPH Willows, Blaikiewell?

I would say that if you take on dangerous ponies then you will possibly end up either having to find more space to keep any othe grazing animals you have away from them or will limit your sanctuary to not being able to Take on any other grazing animals until the two dangerous ones are no longer there.

Ok - that's the sensible advice out of the way. I do hope something can be worked out for them, ponies are, I believe, only dangerous because someone or something has made them that way. Sometimes patience, love, understanding, good handling and more patience can do wonders.

Good luck

CM

Catsey Veteran

18-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #5

I've given the blacksmith the numbers of a few rescue centres, he would prefer to try and get them a private home first, but will call them if there is nobody willing to take them.
He is shoeing my horses on saturday, so we can discuss things a bit better. It looks like Pipin will be coming to us next week, we're feeling very apprehensive about what condition he will be in, the blacksmith thinks he will be on his knees as his feet will be so bad, and you can't really tell what colour he is because he hasn't been grooomed in years. I'm assuming he will need to be deloused, wormed, vaccinated and have his teeth done as well as his feet, and will have to be in quaranitine for a good few weeks.
Will be able to talk things through a bit better on Saturday with the blacksmith, as he couldn't hear me on my phone, Deli the dali, knocked a glass of red wine all over it.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #6

Poor Pipin, he sounds in a bad way .......thank goodness there are people like you around who are willing to care for him...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
18-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #7

Bless you for taking on Pipin, he now has the chance of a happy life...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
18-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #8

I hope pippin settles well and he doesn't have tendon probs etc if he's not been able to stand properly. It makes you mad doesn't it?

Let us know how it goes.

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #9

I do so hope that you can nurse him back to health, farthing.

Catsey Veteran

23-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #10

Just a quick update, Pipin the pony arrives on Sunday, the blacksmith hopes we can turn him around, but he has said he will pay for his PTS if needed, so it sounds pretty bad, we will do our best though.
The ducks are now out in a run with some chickens until we get a pond and a new run built. They seem very happy, although the crows are stealing their eggs.
He is still trying to find homes for the welsh mares, but if all else fails we will take them to a local rescue.
After Pipin arrives, we will have to close our doors to anymore animals for the time being. We don't have the time, space or money to take in anything else, and although it will be hard, we can't put the animals here at the moment at any any risk, by not being able to cope. I really don't want to say NO, but have to be realistic.
I am in for a carpal tunnel op on my left hand on friday, so it may be a couple of days before I post any updates of Pipin, but will do when I get the chance.
Thanks for your kind words so far.