Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: SILVER TABBY X2
19-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #1

Helloo ,,,<^.,.^>,,,

Hello
Cayo, Rico and myself are new to the site; I included them because they are always all over the keyboard, any way hi. As a newbie here I do have a few questions I hope some of you may be able to help me with not sure if posting here is ok but I guess someone will tell me if not. I adopted Cayo & Rico from a RSPCA rescue home Last October and going on dates given at the time they are around 7 months old now and totally spoiled, kitten food never really agreed with them so they have been of boiled chicken and Iams dry since about 3 months. They have had total freedom of the house and have been very good little kitties only scratching one chair seat so far. My main question to anyone who can advise is, at what age did you let your cats finally go out on their own? I do have a garden small but ok, and both cats love it out there but I have kept them on a harness and leads as they still look tiny compared with the local cats and they are so clumsy on the fences still, also I am in need of advice on cat flaps for UPV double glazed doors price is not an object but reliability at quality is, one I have been looking into is a petport microchip cat door but I need reliable feedback from users of this model so I hope there are a few of you out there as it is killing me getting up at 6:00 am each morning "I NEED SLEEP". Anyway hello again and thank you for reading.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
19-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #2

Re: Helloo ,,,<^.,.^>,,,

First and most important - Hello!
Second and actually most important - are your pusses neutered? Don't even think of letting them out if they're not.
If they are then they sound a good age to explore by themselves, if you live in an area that is safe wrt roads and nasty humans. I think it's good to take it gently - let them out half an hour before you normally feed them - they should be hungry and shouldn't get out of earshot. Teach them to come to a sound, such as a whistle from you or rattling a fork on a dish.
I'm sorry I don't have a Pet Porte so I can't advise on that - it sounds great

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
19-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #3

Hello! Welcome to the wonderful world of Catsey! Hope you enjoy it here
Look forward to hearing all about Cayo & Rico. Hope to see photos of them too!

In order to let them out without the leads/harnesses, they should both be fixed, the garden area must be kitty proofed so they cannot get out (for your piece of mind too). Take it easy with them outside, let them get used to the garden a little at a time without leads. Make sure to watch them for the first several times, then slowly let them be by themselves but still keep an eye on them. Cats are good at finding any escape routes. Our kittens were a bit scared at first but they eventually got used to it & got more independent. Now they love going outside & they meow at us to let them out. Your kitties will get used to it & will learn to love it Not sure if that helped you or not...

The cat flap you mentioned sounds good - hopefully someone can help you with your decision If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask & someone will try to help.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

Hello and welcome to Catsey...

I cannot add to the very good advice you have been given above about letting your cats outdoors.

I also agree that first and foremost they should be neutered.

Regarding the Pet Porte cat flap, we discussed this a couple of years back and I thought you may be interested to read the thread....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=21296

Cats owned: SILVER TABBY X2
20-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #5

Thanks for your quick responses and yes they are both micro chipped and neutered. I looked up the link but not that much info from users who have this kind of cat flap but thanks anyway. I did come across a link that gives you a limited number of days to trial it so also there is an updated model or in June so I will try and get others response for that.
Once again thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #6

I also looked at the PetPorte flap but was put off because it needs a power socket and in my house it is just about impossible to install a new socket or wire to a distant plug. If that had not been the case, I would have gone for it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #7

Hi and welcome! Sorry I can't be of any help with your questions: I live on a busy heavily trafficed street so my cats have always gone outside on harness and lead only, and of course I don't have a cat flap. Hope you enjoy Catsey, and would love to see pics of your two.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
21-05-2009, 02:26 AM   #8

Hi and welcome to Catsey... my cats are indoor only cats... but at present we are thinking about installing an outdoor run but have just started looking at appropriate flaps, so i cant offer any advice there

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #9

Hi and welcome to Catsey