Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: dsh tabby and tortoiseshell
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #1

new cat owner with lots of ??????

good morning, here I am, up far too early for a bank holiday - all because of cats!!

Marmite and Angel are gorgeous, had them 6 nights from Battersea cats home in Windsor (fab place!!) but I'm not sure that this is going too well...

How long should I leave them in one room at night? I'm getting a bit fed up of the living room whiffing in the morning???? is that ok to move their litter trays to somewhere else??

this and any other new cat info welcome??

Helen

PS we'll be onto adventuring outside before long!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
12-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #2

Re: new cat owner with lots of ??????

Hello Helen and welcome

Guess time has come to move them out of the living room when the whiff gets too much...

Looking forward to hearing more about Angel and Marmite and seeing their pics. Lots of experienced cat owners here on Catsey willing to impart good advice, just want to say thanks for taking in 2 very lucky kitties

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #3

Hello Helen - welcome from another Reading-resident

Kittens all need different amounts of time to adjust so there's no right or wrong, but I would say they could have the run of the house - maybe lounge + hall initially, bit by bit. My cats are indoor only and the litter trays are in kitchen and our bedroom (for our lazy old boy who pees where he sits ), so you should site the trays where suits your home best and then try not to move them as it will result in confusion for your cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #4

Hi and welcome! Are they kittens or adults? (And well done for giving them a home!). Do they seem to be settling in well, not spooky or nervous? I agree it'd be OK to move the litter boxes to a more convenient place; just show them where it is. Do tell us a little bit more about them, and pics are always nice.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #5

Hi Helen and welcome to Catsey!

Well done to you for giving two cats from Battersea a home!

Looking forward to hearing more about Marmite and Angel and maybe seeing a pics or two of your newcomers.

If you need any help posting your pics, please click here

13-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #6

hi there - good to hear from you all!!!

the litter tray moving seems to have worked with one small weeing moment only. put tin foil where they were and showed them new place, which both have now used - hurray!!!!

new question.... ?????

they don't have a collar at the moment - are cats usually ok with collars - I don't want to do too many different things to them all at once, so was thinking to put one on in a few days??

photos on their way!!!

thanks Helen

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #7

If you are thinking of buying collars for them, please make sure you buy safety collars with a breakaway catch on them.

How old are your cats?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #8

If they go outdoors as you indicated in the other post will be upcoming, they definitely need a safety collar and ID...have they been microchipped? If traffic is bad in your area, you might consider harness training. It;s not that difficult and they enjoy outdoors safely; plus it's a good bonding thing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #9

Please avoid using those stupid elasticated collars, so many cats/kittens have ended up getting tangled and snagged with those and in their struggle to get free, have ended up with really nasty wounds and amputations.

13-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #10

thanks everyone!

the cats are 2 but I don't have too much info on their life before, so not sure what they're used to.

cheers!!!

Helen