Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
02-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #1

Why do CP branches differ?

I wonder why CP branches differ so much in what they offer and what they provide............is their no set "guideline? I wil ask this when I go in a fortnight.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
02-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #2

Re: Why do CP branches differ?

I honestly have no idea Karen. We all get the same handbook, with guidelines I think, but it's up to individual branches I presume as to what they actually do. Maybe Smudgley can elaborate more.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
02-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #3

Think the Scottish ones vary quite a bit from the English ones....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #4

Cats protection is run as you all know by volunteer branches.
There are Cat Care Standards which are listed in the Cat Care Standards booklet and these must be adhered to. Everything in there is a must and there is no cutting corners, like rules on mixing cats, minimum space required per cat and cleaning guides. There are also booklets on by-laws and rules and a fairly new one on minimum veterinary standards.

These all must be adhered to, however the way the branches are run is then upto the people who run those branches to decide what works for them and how they will run their branch. Afterall they are volunteer run, so everyone needs to be happy with what they are doing.

There is a regional contact person for each branch who will offer support and advise when things get difficult and also the RDM will visit each fosterer once per year & if things are not good, they will advise on how to put them right or for more severe things like mixing cats or not being clean, they will close the fosterer down and that person will no longer be able to foster for CP.
I've got a copy of the vet standards in front of me. I'll quote from it;

It starts off with the reasons and the benefits of implementing minimum veterinary, then goes on to say;

The mandatory minimum veterinary Standards for domestic cats
  • all cats and kittens must be health checked by a veterinary surgeon whilst in CP care (this procedure must be carried out as soon as is practicably possible)
  • All cats and kittens must receive treatment against fleas, roundworms and tapeworms whilst in care. (A list of veterinary-prefered products is available in your branch manual)
  • All cats and kittens from 9 weeks of age must have at least one vaccination against cat-flu and enteritis whilst in our care(this must be carried out as soon as possible after being deemed fit by the vet to reduce the risk of contracting or spreading disease whilst in care. It is advisable to give a 2nd vaccine of cat flu & enteritis if the cat is still in CP care after 3 weeks)
  • Sick cats must be blood tested for FIV/FeLV weather sick when coming into branch or becoming sick whilst in our care (confirmed FIV positive cats must only be euthanased if they areill and treatment is no longer effective or if there is little chance of rehoming them to a homewhere there is no risk of passing on infection, or if the cat is mnot suited for an indoor life) Confirmed FeLV positive cats must be euthasased for their own welfare because of the hopeless prognosis. All kittens of FeLV positive queens must be euthanased, without further testing as they will be permanently affected.
  • All cats and kittens that are not already neutered must be neutered from 4 months of age
  • Veterinary treatment as required for any medical or behavioural conditions that is reasonably treatable and will not cause long term suffering to that cat
  • records of all medical care must be kept

Catsey Veteran

02-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #5

Anyone who fosters for CP should have a copy of
  • Cat care standards
  • by-laws
  • rules
  • minimum veterinary standards
and sign a fosterers agreement

Catsey Veteran

02-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Anyone who fosters for CP should have a copy of
  • Cat care standards
  • by-laws
  • rules
  • minimum veterinary standards
and sign a fosterers agreement
I have not got any of those Smudgley....

Catsey Veteran

02-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #7

One other thing where branches differ is the donation.

CP asks for a donation as opposed to an adoption fee, therefore no minimum amount can be specified, although I know branches do often ask for a fee. However it should be up to the indidual to decide how much they give.

This is one thing that I do not agree with and strongly believe we should be able to tipulate the amount or minimum amount that is given and it is something I often bring up at comittee meetings, however as we do everything by-the-book, we continue to let people give whatever they wish to give. {Everyone agrees with me on the comittee but we always end the discussion with "we'd love to and we think we should be able to... but we can't"}

Catsey Veteran

02-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
I have not got any of those Smudgley....
You should ask for them. Or would you like me to send you a copy of each? It's no bother.

Catsey Veteran

02-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
You should ask for them. Or would you like me to send you a copy of each? It's no bother.
Would really appreciate it if you could Smudgley...

Catsey Veteran

02-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Would really appreciate it if you could Smudgley...
PM me your address please - you know how rubbish I am at keeping addresses.

Edit to say - cancel that. I've found your address.