Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
01-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #1

Rabbit flea attack

Hi folks

Not been on ages for ages so first up my news.

After Murphy, Chippy and Bramble were PTS (all covered on here in the past) I still have my 'youngest' Paddy cat now aged 17 - fit as a fiddle - and little black Casper who is a big tough 5 year old now

Anyway - reason for posting - Casper comes and goes and it's not unusual for me not to see him for a few nights.

Last night (Monday) he came for his supper and I hadn't seen him since Saturday.

His ears were a mess. Half bald with little crispy bits and lots of black marks. I thought he'd been scrapping at first as Murphy used to scrap and get ear marks but this was different.

My first thought was a flea infestation / allergy but he was fine just a couple of days before.

Anyway - I went all over him and found no sign of fleas.

This morning I found one flea 'dug in' but given my previous experience with cat ears it would need a fair old flea problem to cause ears like these.

Took him to the vet tonight puzzled by no fleas and she thinks he's probably caught and eaten a very flea sick rabbit (he does do rabbits) and has fallen victim to some kind of flea frenzy transfer.

She got one flea off him (couldn't find anymore) but he's been bathed - given an injection and a wee well know treatment rub to cope with any stragglers.

I've had lots of experience with cat / dog fleas over the years, I'm used to regular treatment and I'm aware of what outbreaks can look like but this was a strange one. So much mess in such a short time with so little evidence of the critters themselves but she says that's how a rabbit flea 'attack' can flare up.

I'll keep you posted and I must post some up to date pics of the gang.

One for now - Dr Casper left & Paddy right

[IMG]
Casper and Paddy by dinners85, on Flickr[/IMG]

PS

Had to have my old boy (Skye the deerhound x Old English Sheepdog) pts last week. Nothing too sad and he was almost 17 but very much missed.

Catch you all later

Phil

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #2

Re: Rabbit flea attack

Good to hear from you again Phil. Sorry to hear about Skye, they leave a pawprint and a big hole.

Interesting about this rabbit flea attack. I've never heard of such a thing but will be Googling later I expect. I understood that there are different species specific flea types and it sounds as it rabbit fleas can affect cats quickly and dramatically if poor Caspar is anything to go by. I'll be interested to hear of developments. Hope his ears clear up with the treatment.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
01-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #3

Hi Phil, I've never heard of rabbit flea attacks ,but I hope your poor cat gets better soon. I just want to say how sorry I am about your dog, Skye. You are so lucky to have had him for so long and you must miss him greatly. It's so sad that the giant breeds have such a short life span. All my English Mastiffs have only lived to about 8 years, and that was considered good for a mastiff breed.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
01-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #4

Well he seems much better today. Ears still look sad but he's stopped scratching and I can't find a single one on him which is good.

Seems they're often called 'stick tight' fleas.

http://www.dailystrength.org/groups/...ssages/9657146

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #5

oh dear i've never heard of a rabbit flea infestation either. Hope Caspar is soon better.
I love the photo, there's got to be a caption there but i can't think of one yet,lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

sorry i forgot to say sorry for your loss of Skye

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: American shorthairs
01-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #7

I am new here so don't know you and yours. But sorry for your lose and the infestation. They sound large and extra jumpy

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
02-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #8

Thanks for the messages about Skye

Casper's ears are soooo much better today.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #9

On reading about this nasty creature, it seems to me it would be better called a bird flea, rather than a rabbit flea. Seems though to be able to parasitise a range of birds (particularly hens) and mammals. Yuk. Phil, I'm glad to hear that Caspar's ears are getting better.