Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
11-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #1

Confusion during a water infection

now i know in elderly humans that there can be confusion. my m.i.l had a form of dementia and her confusion got worse when she had a water infection.
Now ive not given reggie any painkillers today as i thought they where messing with his head. u know like when we have painmeds that make us drowsy. well since last night reggie kept us awake till about 2 am. yolwing. constantly looking for food. which i gave him. now today all he fas done is walked around in circles.not stopping.ive put him in the bathroom as im hoping he cant get into too much mischief their. no kidding its like having a toddler in the house. constantly having to watch him. i got him to sleep for a while..(i was worn out)
i took him to the emergency vets but she wasnt much help. sounds harsh. im really at a loss to what i can do now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
11-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #2

Re: Confusion during a water infection

I'm sorry to hear about this RM, what a shame the vet was no help.
I don't like the sound of it and if i were you i'd take him to your usual vet asap.
I know what you mean about people and confusion/water infections and bet it does happen to animals as well.
I don't know much about kidney infections, not sure if there is a link between that and high blood pressure.
I think all you can do is reassure him and get him to the vets. Hope you have a better night.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

I'm sure UTIs can cause confusion in animals as well as humans ... I'd agree with Shelley and take reggie to your usual vet asap. Is he drinking water?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
11-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

hes stopped eating now. ive had to put him in the bathroom where he cant hurt him self.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
11-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #5

Oh RM I'm sorry to hear that Reggie is so poorly. I'm certain there is a link between infections and confusion due to imbalance in the blood chemistry so if Reggie is not eating or drinking this is why he's feeling ill. Is he passing urine? he could be obstructed.

It is awful having to watch our animals in their confusion, Im sure you are doing all you can to make him feel safe. I would seek another vet opinion tomorrow, maybe a phone consult. first then if needs be a visit. I think he may need hospitalising for some IV fluids at least. Sorry the on call wasn't any help.