Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
18-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #1

Stress Related Cystitis

Hi

My cat Milly is very highly strung and easily scared. We are due to go on holiday in a few weeks and will be leaving my cats at home, with my neighbor looking after her and George.

My problem is that the last couple of times we've been away, when we've come back she has had cystitis. The vet is convinced that it is more than likely stress related, as she doesn't seem to handle change very well.

Has anyone had a similar problem or got any suggestions as to how I can make things less traumatic for her? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Rescue centre - currently LOTS
18-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #2

Re: Stress Related Cystitis

Have you tried Feliway plug-ins? They help to reduce stress and really do work. I use them a lot for keeping feral cats calm. Works best after a few weeks of use, so start with one ASAP to maximise the effect.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
18-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #3

If it stresses her that her family go off & leave her, would it help if she went into a cattery. It may seem worse but she wouldnt have the stress of knowing no one was at home, just a thiught

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #4

I have read that a cat is much more connected to place than people, so leaving her at home should work better for her. You would think that your scent would be around her and settle her but it might be an idea to leave an unwashed T-shirt or similar around where she sleeps most to comfort her. I have heard people swear by Feliway although I have to say that I haven't seen it work any wonders. You could leave a bottle of Rescue Remedy for your neighbour to add a couple of drops to Milly's drinking water each day.

Catsey Junior

18-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #5

Hi Velvet

The first time we went away for a long weekend we did put both her and George into a cattery.

When we cam back the lady who owns the cattery said that George had come round fairly quickly but Milly had sat facing the corner with her head down and couldn't even be tempted with food.

The next time we went, my neighbor said that she would look after them and I thought that perhaps if she was in familiar surroundings then it would help. My neighbor said she seemed to be alright and did come to look who was coming in the house, so that was an improvement. It just seems to be the change in routine

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
18-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #6

Wear something like a jumper or dressing gown for a week even sleep in it and put it in her favourite sleeping place then she will smell your scent all week and feel comforted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #7

Another product you can try, along with the feliway if you want, is a food supplement called Zylkene. The Feliway should be plugged in a few weeks befrore you go away and the zylkene should be started from a week to a few days before you go. Its a capsule which you just break open and sprinkle onto her food, so the neighbour should be able to carry it on after you leave.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #8

I've never used Feliway, but it's what I'd try in your circumstances; so many people swear by it.

Catsey Junior

19-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

Great tips thanks. Will sort out to Feliway right away so hopefully that should have started working by the time we are due to go. I've never heard of Zylkene, can you get it at pet shops? I'll try anything if it might help Milly.

The one good thing is that she recovers very quickly and soon goes back to being her "diva" self lol.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Rescue centre - currently LOTS
19-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #10

Feliway.... I have used it for several years. I have had amazing results with it - with feral cats. I have not found it QUITE as useful with pets.... but I don't know why.
With feral cats - even pregnant ones - The feliway takes 2 weeks to work. Then they are quiet and bidable. Without the Feliway they are still manic after 2 weeks. The difference is definate and recordable.
With pet cats it is less noticeable, but I suspect it is just as real.
I "think" it works. But buy it on line - not from your vets due to expense.