Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
22-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #21

Re: 1 year old baby with kidney failure :'(

Thanks so very much everyone. I can't stop crying, I just want my little one to be ok and back to his normal bouncy silly self Having done more research (on Elaine's recommendation) I can now see it is highly likely he has Acute Renal Failure and the prognosis does not look good as it was 5 days ago that he clearly ingested something he should not have done. Why oh why did the vet not suggest putting him on a drip

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
22-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #22

... why why WHY did I never get round to sorting out pet insurance

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #23

Sarah, dont beat yourself up about it, this is NOT your wrong doing. I am bloody furious with your vet practice but none of that will help Charlie. We trust our vets judgments just as we do our doctors but sadly they dont always make the right call.
Getting back to helping Charlie in the mean time, is he still drinking? If so, is it possible to try adding a little cat milk and or tuna to the water? Cat milk is more of a food than a drink and he may be able to tolerate it easier than food at the minute but dilute it with water so that it's not too rich. Sometimes adding a little tuna to the water helps them take in more fluids and he may even nibble on the tuna. Leave small bowls of water around so that he never has to move too far to get a drink. Place the bowls ontop of a book or two so he doesnt have to lower his head too much to drink. Try warming a little of his favourite foods and try to tempt him with tiny pieces at a time.

Catsey Veteran

22-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #24

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #25

Elaine . . . you're just a total star. What can I say??

Sarah - wishing you all the luck in the world with your little Charlie; I hope to goodness you're able to stabilise him. When I read your earlier posts it's poisoning that came into my mind - whether accidental or not.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #26

I do hope the 2nd opinion is more supportive and helpful. I do hope your wee guy gets through this.

I too immediately thought 'poison' - that's the problem when they're out and about - you neve know what they pick up.

Elaine - you are a mine of great and helpful info -

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
23-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #27

keep your chin up for your little guy, think positive. were all praying for him here. you think when they are that young that they won't need pet insurance but sadly it's not the case sometimes, as I found out too. Hoping all the best for him at the vets tomorrow from lynsey, pip and the ratties x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
23-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #28

My heart goes out to you as I have a dog in renal failure, I just got the news today that she is again deteriorating so I can share your distress

Will include your little guy in our prayers tonight and send some absent healing. xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
23-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #29

Sarah - am hoping you all got through the night alright, that your wee boy is surviving, and that you're not too demented. Thoughts and prayers with you all.

Hope you're able to locate a good vet whose able to get him on that drip this morning, and that all will be well.

*hugs*

Catsey Veteran

23-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #30

Had quite a restless sleep last night, thinking of you Sarah and your poorly wee boy. Hope you managed to get some fluids and a little food into him last night/this morning and that you managed to get some rest.
Will be thinking of you both today and I hope Charlie gets what ever he needs to get him back on track. All my thoughts and best wishes will be with you both. xxx