Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
02-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #1

Serious problem, not sure what to do.

We adopted a dog a few months ago, and the fosterer was far from truthful, lying about all of his behaviour problems. One of which is that he chases cats but she said he's lovely with them, and she runs a cattery.

Now usually he just chases them and they avoid him, and we've now fenced a garden in such a way that he cannot get to them most of the time and they can finally roam the garden in peace.

My cat Honey however was brought up with a lovely dog so is generally really trusting of them over time. He allows Charlie (the dog) to slobber all over him and basically fit Honey's entire head in his mouth, not biting.

I've been really worried about an accident happening, though.

A moment ago I heard odd noises outside and found Honey on the gate, Charlie harrassing him from below - and Honey's entire neck was soaking wet. I am terrified that he was biting Honey's neck. I'm so scared that he'll seriously hurt Honey one day, probably by accident - getting too carried away rather than being malicious, he's not vicious, just... Stupid.

I just don't know what to do. My parents simply ignore me and go, "What are we supposed to do?" My Dad doesn't care and figures, "It's in his nature." and that it's fine if a dog hurts a cat. I, on the other hand, would never let that dog anywhere near the house again if Honey gets hurt.

I have no idea what to do.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #2

Re: Serious problem, not sure what to do.

I think you seriously need to talk to your folks. And maybe get the dog some behavioural therapy.. No animal should be at the risk of another . . .especially (in my opinion) cats, who usually seem to get the short straw

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
02-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #3

Ok dogs and cats a few of us on here do have living well together, but it may help to have some more info on the dog. What age and breed is he?

One rule I have, even though my cats and dogs get on really well together, is that I never leave them alone together unattended. I just think its sensible and although I don't think my dogs would maliciously hurt one of the cats, my Weim is absolutely mental when she wants them to play and she doesn't realise her size or strength, she's a big daft lug so it's just a safety aspect.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
03-08-2008, 01:31 AM   #4

I looked after a jack russle when kado was 8wks and he snapped at him and nicked his nose. He went home shortly after that and we only had him a couple more times. We also have had a westie come in which was daft as a brush and they would sleep next to him and line up to food. Her puppy Albert a shih zu is a nightmare he wants to play with the cats but they dont with him i wouldnt leave them alone with him as well as i dont trust him as he is overpowering. My 3 older cats tease the dogs near the shop and wont let them go in. I wouldnt let any dog not knowing its history near any cat unless it us suppervised all the time,

jane

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: B&W Semi-Long Hair Moggy
Darky is Male
03-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #5

This dog must be about a year old now though acts like a puppy, and apparently is a staff x yorkie His breed is a complete mystery.

It's very difficult to have them monitored 24/7 unfortunately, because none of our doors really shut properly. I do my best and am generally there when the dog is near the cats, prepared to tell him off for harrassing them.

But I'm scared that one day I won't be there. My family aren't as pet-cautious as I am and I can't stay in the house every hour of every day.