Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
01-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #21

Re: my girl is a boy!!

Oh dear what a mix up but just as well you caught it in time!!

This happened to us, but with guinea pigs. My sister was given a wee guinea-pig as a birthday present by her school friend. The owner (mum of the kid) bred them. We received it and was told it was a boy; who were we to think otherwise? Anyway, it was the only guinea-pig we had. It started to get a bit fatter and we thought about putting it on a diet (!) until one day my mum opened the hutch door and there were four guinea-pigs!! And the amazing thing about guinea-pigs is they come out looking exactly like minature adult, with fur, eyes open etc. Just adorable.

So it turns out the previous owner (who BREEDS them!) had sexed her as a male, kept her with all the other guinea-pigs she had, and the poor wee girl had become pregnant before she came to us. I know guinea-pigs and cats are different, but I think misdiagnosing the sex can happen often. Like I said, just as well you spotted it before it was too late!

ANd to be honest, I'd say well done for spotting it. I'm not sure what the earlier hoo-ha was about, with you not being able to spot it sooner (?) but I'm impressed you noticed at all! Well done you

As for names, when I told a few folk I was calling Darcy Darcy they all told me it was a girls name!! I think it's interchangeable, but I did name him after Austen's Mr. Darcy so

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
01-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #22

Happened to me twice, well nearly. I got 2 'girls' from a friends farm, a stray had decided to come along and give birth in her barn! She ended up keeping mum, got her spayed e.t.c and sold the kittens, she gave me 2 of the girls but when I got them home I realised one was a little boy! This is really understandable as she'd never had pets of any kind before this cat came into her barn (and her life!) so she wasn't to knwo really, she did do a lot of reading up on what to do though, she was a star for this new mummy and still has her to this day!

When I got Anakin form a pet shop , totally unplanned which I do not advise at all but that's another story, too much of a sucker for an ill treated animal I am, however the pet shop people said they 'thought' were all girls, I checked, 2 BOYS and ONE girl, I checked again and was 100% sure, would they listen, would the hell, they sold me Anakin as a girl and his furry plums have recently came down, I have a good mind to take him up and show them, "what kind of girl has these?" in a 'told ya so' kind of attitude.

My vet won't neuter either sex 'til 6 months.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
01-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #23

lol meep blimey! lol thanks, ddint know what i was looking at lol but knew maybe that it wasnt a girl after all the playing we have been doing!! turn out she or he! isnt!

glad i know now though, want to get him done asap!

awww random! pet shops how can they not beleive you?? id take her down there!!