Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #1

Garden Makeover

This is going to be a long post, sorry! Years ago I made a big mistake of planting bamboo, which has proceeded to take over my small back yard, aided and abetted by a wild rose that went mad, cat briar and honeysuckle. I coped with it for years, but it had gotten so put of hand that on the Spring of "06 I had my neighbors handyman come and cut everything down. Second mistake: didn't dig up the roots! Everything grew rampantly; I was out every day whacking things back; then we had a series of almost month long rains. I couldn't get out to work on it; grew luxuriantly and took over the yard. Really! So this Autumn I hired Christopher's landscaper who sent a crew with machetes and pitchforks who chopped down and dug up everything! Unfortunately a few things that weren't to be chopped were: lost 2 roses and a crepe myrtle... So now everything looks awful as you can see from the photos, I've ordered 4 new roses to go against the East wall, will be putting in vegetables/herbs in a bed by the North wall which gets loads of sun. Also going to put in a pyracantha and nandina as I love berried shrubs in the Winter for some color. Around the East wall and the West wall will be putting in lots of flowering annuals: zinnias, tithonias, marigolds' and probably Summer bulbs also like glads and acidanthera. And some tall-bearded iris and Siberian iris. Haven't decided yet about the South wall....any ideas?.

North wall..

East wall...

East wall...

South wall...came out blurry, there's a holly tree behind that furniture...

Part of South and East walls ...

Going to be a big job. Should have the flagstones in and settled by the time Spring planting season is here.

Sorry the drawing is so awful, this was the best copy of it I could get..

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH
30-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #2

Re: Garden Makeover

wow ! what a great project and its gonna look just fabulous when its done you've certainly put lots of thought into it !!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
30-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #3

Eileen you have a walled garden how absolutely excellent.I do envy you starting from scratch.....I will look forward to this it will be totaly ace 2008 what with Emma, Angie and you all doing something big to your gardens...and Elaine and Alex making strides forward.....I do so look forward to this year.How about a grape on your south facing wall?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
30-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #4

what potential with that garden Eileen!! I would adore a walled garden. Lots of climbing roses going up the walls, a water feature in one corner, shrubs all around the flagstones. ooooh the possibilities lol.

Catsey Veteran

30-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #5

Thanks, Kaszz and Moofter! I had thought about a grape, had one for years until the stockade fence was replaced about 5 years ago and the workmen managed to kill it; the problem with the grape was wasps(!) and squirrels. Half the time I was scared to pick them and the squirrels got most! So scratched that. I have thought about a dwarf fruit tree, maybe a peach or pear, but suspect it would be the same problem.

Cold Autumn and Winter days are a great time to think garden thoughts and plan for the emergence of life again in the garden! Any thoughts very welcome!

Catsey Veteran

30-12-2007, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
what potential with that garden Eileen!! I would adore a walled garden. Lots of climbing roses going up the walls, a water feature in one corner, shrubs all around the flagstones. ooooh the possibilities lol.
\

There is a tiny pond there on the left side of the drawing, just one of those plastic ones set in the ground; the water lilies were lovely before the bamboo encroached. Glad you mentioned that: need to add a water lily to the "buy" list! In the pic of the South and East walls you can see a small St. Francis statue that was guarding the pond ......

Two of the new roses are climbers, will find a pic and post, Alex.

Catsey Veteran

30-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #7

Hmmm we ned somthing Squirrel will hate then.....I will think about it.Karen

Catsey Veteran

30-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #8

Eileen how about a climging Fuchia.

Catsey Veteran

30-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #9

Oooh, sounds interesting! I'm not familiar with that, will give it a Google. I love the common ones you get in hanging baskets ...

Catsey Veteran

30-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #10

Lady Boothby, its called Eileen Thomas & Morgan I think. Climbing Fuchsia - Lady Boothby
Here is a link Eileen.http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/product/6337/1