Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
10-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #1

jimmy had a vet visit.

I took Jimmy into the vet last night as i thought he had lost weight, sure enough he has lost 0.5kg since he came. We took bloods and thankfully his kidney's are fine. We are now waiting for a thyroid test to come back- but looking at his past notes, I'm pretty sure that's what it will be. He was tested in May with his previous owner- the results were 66.4, the top of the normal range is 66.5! The vets didn't really start any treatment as his owner had a neurological condition so wouldn't have been able to give tablets anyway.
Does it sound bad if I say, I hope it is his thyroid and not something else, or worse, that he is unhappy.
If this is the case, once Fluffy comes a week on Saturday, we will have 6 cats with the condition- just goes to show how common it really is.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
10-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #2

Re: jimmy had a vet visit.

Farthing - I had no idea that thyroid problems are so common in cats, why is this? Are their diets deficient in some way, or are they just being better diagnosed?

Catsey Veteran

10-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
Farthing - I had no idea that thyroid problems are so common in cats, why is this? Are their diets deficient in some way, or are they just being better diagnosed?
I don't really know what causes it, but it do think it is being diagnosed more. I think the hyperthyroid cat fits the image of the old, scrawny cat and many people didn't bother to look into it futher. More people are taking their cats to the vets for treatment and so it is probably being discovered more often

Catsey Veteran

11-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #4

Well, Jimmy is hyperthyroid too.
He starts on his meds tomorrow, so hopefully he will start to put some weight on.