Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Cross-breed (Maine Coon)
04-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #1

The yearly dilemma...

((Hello All))

Hope everyone is doing well .

It's booster time again and I am asking myself some hard question about weather or not to have it done (He's 11 and in generally good health). The only 'for' I can see at the moment is that Billy won't be allowed in the cattery if we don't have them done. Also the people next door aren't the types to bother with vets so I am pretty sure their cat hasn't been immunised ever so I am concerned about the risk of him catching something off that cat - especially since the only time Billy ever interacts with him is to punch poor Gizmo on the nose!

If you remember my first posting here when he had a bad reaction to the vaccination, you'll understand why I'm so concerned about it.

I intend to give my vet a proper 'grilling' about these injections and see what she thinks, but if anyone could advise me on the type of questions I should be asking I would be very grateful .

Gaina and Billy xxx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #2

Re: The yearly dilemma...

You may like to read this thread which was discussed on Catsey a couple of months ago, it includes quite a bit of information regarding vaccinations.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #3

Hi Gaina - good to see you again. I'm glad that Mags has posted the link to the thread - it is indeed a hard decision to make, especially with Billy's history. Good luck.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Cross-breed (Maine Coon)
04-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #4

Mags and Angieh thanks for the prompt responses

Angieh, you raised a point about insurance that I had considered because I'm pretty sure it would affect my policy if I didn't have it done (they already make me pay top dollar because they take my postcode as beind the neareast large city when infact I live in the countryside in the next postcode area! ).

So, sadly it looks like I don't really have a choice We live away from our original home town now so even if we didn't go on holiday (we haven't for the last two years for various reasons) the cattery is a necessity in case we have to go up there at short notice, so it looks like vaccinations will go ahead.

It just makes me so cross that if GP's over medicated people just so they could sell vaccinations there would be an uproar but the same cannot be said for our pets.