Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Charlie, the rescue kitten :)
04-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #1

Advice please, Charlies Ill

Hi Everyone, Just wondering if we could have some advice. We've woken up this morning to Charlie having either been sick or had diorhea down the side of the bed, its impossible to tell which. Hes a lot quieter than usual, taking himself off to curl up on his own - wouldnt even go to bf this morning, who is his ultimate favourite person Hes also not interested in his food, again very unlike Charlie. Having not dealt with a poorly cat before, I dont know how urgent it is to get him to the vets, or what to give him to settle his stomach etc? Advice much appreciated, Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #2

Re: Advice please, Charlies Ill

OK, firstly if it's diaorrhea you would be able to tell, believe me If you can't smell it, it's probably vomit.

Has Charlie been able to eat something that might have disagreed with him? i.e., has he been outside? Try tempting him with some tiny peices of chicken boiled in water, or at least the chicken-y water . . . if he takes this and keeps it down he may well be on the mend. If he continues to vomit up everything then I would get the vet to have a look.

Also if he becomes unresponsive and very listless get him to a vet asap as he may have ingested something harmful, either inside or outside of the home.

Catsey Junior

04-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #3

Thank You for the reply. I am guessing its sick then, hes been sicky a couple of times before but never actually poorly. He has been outside so could well have ingested something. Hes not scarily unresponsive, he just wants to be left alone. I will get him some chicken when I finish work & try him with that tonight. Will he be alright until then? My gut instinct is that he'll be Ok but as I say, Im no expert when it comes to cats...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #4

Good advice from Yola, it does sound as though he has eaten something that has disagreed with his system.

You could also try some steamed or boiled white fish to tempt him, like the chicken it will be gentle on his stomach.

I hope Charlie improves soon, please keep us updated...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #5

Good advice above - try to see whether he is drinking. An adult cat can be without food for a couple of days, but it is important that his fluid levels are kept up. If he is drinking and keeping water down, then hopefully he'll perk up on his own.

Catsey Junior

05-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #6

Charlie still wasnt interested in food this morning & he had continued diarrhea & sickness, also he was very lethargic. So off to the vets we went. He has been given anti-sickness, pain relief & anti-imflamatory - the vet also revealed some very sore gums. She didnt know what was wrong so we are back in the morning & if theres no improvement they will run some tests then

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #7

Oh poor Charlie. Healing vibes from me to him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #8

I hope he improves; do let us know.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
05-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #9

Hopefully the anti-inflamatories will calm his tummy. Best wishes for Charlie's quick recovery.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese cross Siamese
09-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #10

How is Charlie now, Frog? Do hope he's much better.