Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: kittens, breed unknown
03-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #1

Kittens not eating

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, I live in Russia and bought two kittens on Sunday.
The lady I bought them from didn't tell us what food they had been eating previously and we have no way of getting back in contact with her.

When we got the kittens home (about 36hrs ago) we gave them whiskas kitten food, and since then both have been sick and aren't eating.

They are drinking water, but are still having liquid vomits.

They have loads of energy and don't seem to be sick.
We have been giving them some plain fish mashed up with boiled rice, which a vet in England recommended me to try with my Mum's cat when she was sick, but they aren't interested in it at all.

I'm very concerned and reluctant to take them to the vets as I'm not sure how reliable they are out here.

Any suggestions?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #2

Re: Kittens not eating

Sometimes whiskas kitten food can be a little too rich a few suggestions would be to try another brand, try soaking some dry food, try some fresh cooked chicken or a little oily fish like sardine, maybe even try warming the food a little to bring out the smell.
It can be quite a traumatic experience for kittens when they move home but I would worry if I didnt have them eating something soon and would seek a vets advice.
Fingers crossed they begin to settle and eat very soon xxx

03-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #3

Ok, I'll give those things a go - thanks

Catsey Veteran

03-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #4

Have they been wormed? Sorry, I did post that on your other thread but didnt want to miss anything.

03-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #5

I've no idea but I'd be very surprised if they have been, however they are a good weight. We are going to have to do some research to try to find a good reliable vet here in Moscow....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #6

Good luck with the kittens and with finding a reliable vet. Hope they start tucking in very soon.

Catsey Veteran

03-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #7

Might also be a good idea to have them wormed now just incase.

03-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #8

I have de-wormed the kittens, how long should we wait before giving them food?
And if they did have worms, how long should it take for them to start eating again?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
03-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #9

If I am honest, if they did have worms I would expect them to be ravenous! If it were me, I'd take them back to weaning basics. Try them with scrambled egg mixed with a little evap milk. Warm food tends to tempt poor eaters and egg is gentle on the gut, warm evap milk is generally not refused by any kitten. In all honesty, if when you have wormed them and you try the bland/warm food, if they are still not interested in eating, I would definitely get them checked out by a vet. Good luck, I hope they soon start to eat and flourish for you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #10

Excellent advice from Elaine and Fran; I do hope they start eating and if not, definitely a vet visit. Good luck, please let us know how the little ones are doing. Male, female, names?