Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Ragdolls
21-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #1

Urgent warning:Tesco cleaning products (Updated @ post 6)

I am not certain if details of this have already been posted on here, but in case not:

I have just had brought to my attention that at least one (there may be more; I don't know) of Tesco's cleaning products is potentially lethal to cats.

The product is "Tesco Anti bacterial Cleanining Spray". the spray apparently carries a warning for animals, MOST PARTICULARLY CATS, but is as I understand it in very small print. I have just learnt of a couple who have lost one kitten and have another one in critical care, believed to be a result of the product.

I have no idea whether any other Tesco products are the same, or indeed whether a similar product by a different manufacturer would also be the same; given how many of these generic brands are simply repackaged key brands.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #2

Re: Urgent warning:Tesco cleaning products (Updated @ post 6)

Thanks for posting this warning Suse.

I use Dettol Anti bac spray regularly on my work surfaces and asked myself the question as to whether it was safe to use on, say, the cats' feeding mats. I was unable to find out much about the safety issue online and so I use my PetSafe spray on their mats just to be sure.

I feel very sorry for the couple who have lost their kitten.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
21-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the warning suse. We use dettol as well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
21-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the warning.

I either use Tesco antibacterial spray or dettol antibac spray on all work surfaces, (where 2 of the cats eat) and on their feeding mat, but never had any problems. I have been using these for several years. I will be more careful now though. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
21-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #5

Another dettol anti bac user here. Think I'll stick to that as it seems to be ok.

How sad for the couple who lost their kitten. Thanks for the warning.

Cats owned: Ragdolls
23-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #6

I have just discovered, the very same warning, on the same product, as produced by "Asda", which leads me to think this may be a factor in any Anti Bacterial Cleaners. The label states "Do not allow pets (especially cats) to walk on treated surfaces until they are dry or to lick surfaces that have been sprayed or wiped with this product. Contains Benzalkonium Chloride" .I still cannot believe that they can declare this and then sell a product that clearly many people will clean pets feeding, toileting and sleeping areas with.

PLEASE NOTE: In response to the replies about using Dettol, I have just checked this out the best I can, via the internet and it appears to me that the product contains that same lethal chemical, but although it it carries general warning about children and animals, does not offer the same level of warning about cats as the own brand products from Tesco & Asda. I have this week, as a result of all this, been and invested in a Pet Safe cleaner form my pet shop/Pets at Home...........please consider doing the same. It is a little more expensive, but what price their safety and that little extra will pall into insignificance against vet bills, for anyone unlucky enough to experience what my friends have.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
23-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

Thanx for this alert. I've used TESCO and Dettol for litter tray cleaning, have stopped now.cheers!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #8

Thanks - will need to go get a safe one.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
31-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #9

I use Dettol Antibacterial Spray, but not on the cats stuff - only the chopping boards. I use Fairy liquid for my cats bowls and trays though.

Dettol liquid (brown stuff in a bottle) is definitely poisonous - no way should anyone use it.

I have heard Milton sterlising fluid is good since it kills Campylobacter but personally I have never used it on my cats bowls so I have no idea whether it is safe.

Tesco floor cleaner is definitely poisonous for cats. I used to use it, but they changed the formula - the last time I went to use it I noticed it straight away. In our branch of Cats Protection we use Zoflora (1 capful to 10 litres of water) for the reception areas. This is not harmful to cats (they have two cats walking on there) but you must make sure that you use that dilution as it can be fatal otherwise. Zoflora does say "Do not allow pets to lick or walk on wet or treated surfaces. Keep them off until dry." but in practice it is very hard to keep them off it, and we have never had any illness.