Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 moggy, 2 long haired
02-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #1

Polly aged 12.5

Our oldest Polly, is 12.5. She is basically a farm cat, hunter, killer, 'I can take care of meself' type of girl.

Last week we lost our old dear old spaniel Max aged 13.5. Him and Polly had been mates all their lives (see the video I posted when I first joined).
I worried about our labrador who's grown up with Max and never been alone, but stupidly I didn't think it would really affect Polly, her being such an independent puss.

Trouble is, Polly has, in the last few days gone 'odd' and un-Poll-like, slow and very sleepy, not hunting or prowling.
What I'm asking, in a long winded way is, do you think at 12.5 Poll is just getting old, or could she also be grieving for Max?

Anyone experienced this? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
02-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #2

Re: Polly aged 12.5

I think she is pining for Max myself. When we lost kay our cat the other cats just sat there in a circle around the bowl. This year we lost simon and they have gone the opposite way Troy and Chester always lay next to me to go to sleep at night they never did this before at all. They have been together a long time time should heal but if you are at all worried take her to a vet for your own peace of mind if nothing else. In 1995 i lost my 4yr old daughter and my dog started to loose fur big clumps came out my vet said it was due to stress about my litle girl. So wether its animal or human companion it affects them in the same way it affects us
jane x

Catsey Junior

02-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #3

Thanks Jane.
You have obviously been through much more difficult and heartbreaking times losing your little girl, so I very much appreciate your taking the time to reply to this.

You have helped us, thank you. xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
02-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #4

I realy dont say too much about it but somehow i have taken polly too my heart. I realy am sure its grief with her just give her time and if you can a stroke from me and my gang

Catsey Junior

02-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kado
I realy dont say too much about it but somehow i have taken polly too my heart. I realy am sure its grief with her just give her time and if you can a stroke from me and my gang
Bless you .... and thanks to you and your gang. xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #6

I do agree that it's most likely she misses him and is grieving. When my Aby had to be PTS because of an incurable fungal lung infection, Misty was obviously grieving. They had been best pals since she came as a fairly young kitten. Took her a while to get back to normal; can't recall the time as this was quite a few years ago. If Polly continues to mourn I agree with Kado that a vet visit might be in order, if for no other reason than to know it's not health related. (((hugs)))

Catsey Junior

02-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #7

Thanks Dandysmom. Yes, I'll take Polly to the vet if she doesn't improve soon.

Is 12.5 old-ish for a 'farm' cat though?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #8

I'd say not really; my childhood cat was an outdoor cat and a expert hunter and he lived to 17. They do generally have a shorter life span than indoor only cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #9

Hi FayRose. I am sorry to hear about your Polly. IMO 12.5 is not old - although not a farm cat as such, my Merlin was come and go as he pleased and was 23.5 years when he was pts last March. Maybe I'm biased because of his age. Smudge was 19 when we had to say goodbye to her. So I don't think it's necessarily age with Polly. I agree give her some time and then a vet check just to rule out anything else. Does she get on with your labrador?

Catsey Junior

02-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #10

Thanks very much Dandysmom and angieh. Your replies have given me hope and re-inforced what I had thought/hoped.
Yes, angieh, she adores her lab, just like she adored Max.

Thank you guys, I'll take our little old Polly off to the vet.