Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
23-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #31

Re: Dylan has been to the vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Fingers crossed here too RCR. , Which flea treatment was it that caused Dylan's reaction? Do you know if your vet will report the reaction to the manufacturers?
Johnsons flea tablets (for cats) I don't know if the vet will be reporting it from the sounds of it the vet's had more than one cat showing a reaction to it

Banned

Cats owned: Moggie
23-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
Johnsons flea tablets (for cats) I don't know if the vet will be reporting it from the sounds of it the vet's had more than one cat showing a reaction to it
This just highlights the fact that people should NEVER use flea treatments on supermarket shelves. Always use a vet approved treatment which can sometimes be available elsewhere.
If frontline is put in the correct place and cat watched over for a couple of hours and prevented from licking. A cat should not be able to lick it off!
Good luck with Dylan, sending healing vibes x

Catsey Veteran

23-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by incy
This just highlights the fact that people should NEVER use flea treatments on supermarket shelves. Always use a vet approved treatment which can sometimes be available elsewhere.
If frontline is put in the correct place and cat watched over for a couple of hours and prevented from licking. A cat should not be able to lick it off!
Good luck with Dylan, sending healing vibes x
Dylan will now be on advantage to see how he goes (he's had a tummy upset as well that's why he went to the vets the second time)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #34

Sorry, RCR - I had thought the two things were related - the reaction to the flea stuff had caused Dylan's tummy troubles.

He should hopefully be OK with Advantage. I have used it for Pip (on vet's advice) and he's been fine. He only weighed 1.55 kg at the last vet check, so is still quite small.

Catsey Veteran

23-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Sorry, RCR - I had thought the two things were related - the reaction to the flea stuff had caused Dylan's tummy troubles.

He should hopefully be OK with Advantage. I have used it for Pip (on vet's advice) and he's been fine. He only weighed 1.55 kg at the last vet check, so is still quite small.
W don't know yet whether they are related or not angieh, waiting for the pancreas results. They should tell us.

Catsey Veteran

24-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #36

My understanding now is that the tablets caused Dylan to be sick, don't know whether it was the antacid tablets that caused Dylan to go off his food. The vet said it was strange Dylan going off his food like that after I started him on the antacid tablets.

The vet will have the pancreas results either tonight or tomorrow night.

Catsey Veteran

24-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #37

The update is that there's nothing wrong with Dylan's pancreas either

The vet said if Dylan becomes ill again like he was then they want to do an X ray. (not sure what they want to see on the x ray - not his bones because his bones won't have been making him ill like that )

Can any vets or vet nurses on here answer that one?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #38

Could your vet perhaps be thinking that Dylan has an obstruction somewhere? Glad the pancreas test was OK.

How is Dylan now RCR? Has he got back to eating well again?

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Could your vet perhaps be thinking that Dylan has an obstruction somewhere? Glad the pancreas test was OK.

How is Dylan now RCR? Has he got back to eating well again?
I think the vet thought Dylan might have something going on that shouldn't be going on, not necessarily a blockage.

He's been wolfing some of his dry food and has been really begging for more (hence the nickname curly tail)

At the moment he's sleeping on the rocking chair after wolfing said food

I'll be uploading some pictures in a couple of minutes

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
26-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by incy
I agree. I tried once a worming product from Johnson's. Consequently my Tigger had a bloody messy faeces. She never had it before or since. Never again did she have a supermarket brand wormer (or deflea solution).

On a similar note once in our branch we had a cat with a horrible neck injury. Despite various antibiotics and tests, it would never heal, and in the end it got put to sleep. The vet said that it was caused by one of those flea collars. They should be banned imo.