Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
24-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #1

The changes of siamese-your thoughts?

I was going to post this thread on a few occasions, but allways backed out for fear of people getting offended, but i think we can all get our point across in a non-insulting way. I was actually watching the orignal hayley Mills version of 'That Darn Cat' which had the gorgeous old style siamese DC, as they all looked at that time-and IMO, how they still should look today. So i thought i would get your opinions on the changes of the siamese...

My tuppence worth-i was allways brought up around the traditiona/old style/applehead types that g-gran owned, showed and bred and we owned a classic type choccy point girl, so these are my prefernce. I much prefer the more solid built appearence of the classic and old style siamese (both are still bred today) rather than the very slinky modern siamese, just my prefernce of course but i believe that some show breeders are really over exadgerating (sp) siamese today, and compared to how they were they do look very exadgerated.
So what are your thoughts on the changes from the traditional/applehead/old style siamese to these rather skinny siams we tend to see today?
Which is your preference?
What are your views on them changing?
Do you think they have changed for the better or the worse?
Generally, what are your opinions?

This was an intersting link sent to me by Het a long time ago, it defines the three types of siamese-with pictures.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/TSCA/2.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
24-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #2

Re: The changes of siamese-your thoughts?

Must admit, I prefer the Trad/Classic types of siamese...Casper is more Classic, but Oliver I would say is a modern, he is very long and thin, so much so, I thought him too thin..But that is how he is supposed to be...

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
24-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #3

Put it this way, i put away my dreams of owning a siam on a fair few occasions now for the fact i can't fidna traditional or classic litter that has a suitable kitten-each to their own, but i am just not fond of the modern type.

Food for thought, a lot of modern siams are said to, and actually are, very highly strung-now i can remember our siam and all of g-grans being quite laid back actually-nosey and curious, yes but not at all highly strung.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
24-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #4

Think its different with each individual cat Luke, My previous chocolate was very highly strung, as is Casper, but Oliver is totally laid back....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #5

I've hesitated about exprsssing my opinion also for fear of hurting anyone's feelings. But I really don't care for the modern Siamese look; I had an applehead who was from quite distinguished British breeders: Prestwick and Doneraile; he wasn't show quality, but I wasn't interedted in showing. Was quite chuffed to see pictures of his mother and grandmother in a book I picked up! Tastes change, and breeders breed to the standard that's winning in the shows. Just my thoughts; no offense meant.

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
24-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #6

On the link i provided there is some intersting reading if you click on the 'Articles from past newsletters' on the left, most intersting i thought.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Siamese.Maine Coon. moggies
24-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #7

Cleo is a true applehead, a real chunky little madam and a real beauty. Jazz and her kits are a bit of a mixture really, they combine the fine triangular face and big ears with a chunkier body. I think as you own and get into the breed you see the cats for their personalities rather than their shapes, but i must admit that some of the Siamese breeding has produced some far too exaggerated shapes for my taste. Whats important at the end of the day though is the health of the cat I suppose, my Siamese are outdoor cats as much as indoor and I can't help but wonder how the modern, super skinny Siamese would be in this situation. I am quite curious as to whether they would be as keen to spend lots of time outdoors in all weathers, or whether they are more suited personality wise and physically to an indoors kind of life, or would they be adaptable. Despite being told to the contrary when i got my first Siamese, they are very adaptable and a lot hardier than they are given credit for

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
24-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Het
Cleo is a true applehead, a real chunky little madam and a real beauty. Jazz and her kits are a bit of a mixture really, they combine the fine triangular face and big ears with a chunkier body. I think as you own and get into the breed you see the cats for their personalities rather than their shapes, but i must admit that some of the Siamese breeding has produced some far too exaggerated shapes for my taste. Whats important at the end of the day though is the health of the cat I suppose, my Siamese are outdoor cats as much as indoor and I can't help but wonder how the modern, super skinny Siamese would be in this situation. I am quite curious as to whether they would be as keen to spend lots of time outdoors in all weathers, or whether they are more suited personality wise and physically to an indoors kind of life, or would they be adaptable. Despite being told to the contrary when i got my first Siamese, they are very adaptable and a lot hardier than they are given credit for
Was Cleo bred in the U.K Het? I only ask as shes truly gorgeous and there seem to be hardly any like her around...
I think we are along a similar train of thought concerning the ultra typey siamese would be able to go out and would care for the great outdoors at all. Personally, i couldn't see it..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #9

Personally I prefer the 'traditional'.
What is a Tonkinese? Is that a type of Siamese or is it supposed to be a different breed?

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
25-10-2006, 09:52 AM   #10

I think a tonkinese was originally a cross of siamese and burmese to create a more 'heavier built' cat of the orient-if i recall.