Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
12-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Litter Boxes

I was told to use non-clumping kitty litter for young kittens. I'm finding it a bit hard to keep his litter box clean since his pee doesn't clump as good. It's a bit smelly in his crate because of this. Does anyone know what the reasoning is behind not using the clumping type?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
12-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #2

Re: Litter Boxes

My 2 dont like the gravelly type litter, we use wood pellets and they are good, holds the smell alot better.

No idea on a nanswer for your question though sorry

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
12-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #3

I'm going to look into those then since they hold the smell better. Thank you

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
12-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #4

Timber,the reason why it is unsafe to use a clumping litter with very young kittens is that kittens often play in,and eat the litter. This is very much a kitten thing. Older cats don't do it.Clumping litter, if swallowed, can set rock hard inside your kitten and this can kill him. .Check on the internet re the dangers of clumping litter.When my babies were very young, I used a hemp cat litter which is very soft, totally safe if swallowed and does not track.I used this litter for the first 6 months then switched to clumping litter. One of mine has very furry feet and even though he is now fine with clumping litter ,every day ,I have to pull hard bits of this litter off his paws because it sets hard on his fur.Good luck with your choice of litter for your darling Cheddar.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
13-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #5

Didn't know that about clumping litter and kittens, thanks Dinky. We have always used wood based. There is a recycled paper litter that might suit him, it will be softer on his paws. Our Barnaby had very smelly wee until we had him neutered.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #6

We have seven cats & always used clumping litter - Cats Best & never had problems x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #7

Yes, thanks for the info Dinky - I didn't know that about clumping litter either! Mine are both adult and generally go outdoors but I do have a litter tray for emergencies/bad weather and use Cats Best - excellent product IMO as I can flush the "bits" and just top up the litter. Not that it gets used very often.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
13-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #8

i tried the paper litter and found it was terrible for holding the smell.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
14-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #9

Paper litter doesn't absorb odours, I agree, but it's soft on kittens paws. I have found a very cheap source of Snowflake cat litter at Home Bargains, it's even cheaper than Blue Ribbon horse bedding, (which is really wood based cat litter).