Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
01-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

November to Remember: daily thread

Tis the start of the remembrance time, All Saint's day today when our church's memories tree is blessed. A large branch of a tree is brought into church and we write blessings and prayers for our lost loved ones and the tree is dedicated.

It's poppy time too, so will be looking out for my British Legion poppy to wear with pride.

It's a blue sky day here today and there's a chill in the air. The sun is bringing out the glorious autumnal colours of the leaves that are left hanging on. Time to get the woolly jumpers out of storage and get the de-bobbler (?) out of the drawer

Ham in Coca-Cola on the stove, will report back my findings

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #2

Re: November to Remember: daily thread

Good luck with the Hama-cola, PP! It should be tender if nothing else.

It's a bright sunny day here too. I went to the garden centre to pick up a bag of multipurpose compost for potting my tulip bulbs and overheard a lady saying "It's almost as warm as a summer's day" and it was, but the sun is getting lower now and I can feel the chill coming on. I have planted some bulbs but have come in now. Still some bulbs to plant. I didn't realise I had so many ..... and I am again running out of pots! I'd forgotten that my two big pots that held tulips last year have had phormiums planted in them. I may have to try planting around the edges and try not to disturb the roots.

Harley had a late breakfast again today - I think he's behaving a bit like a teenage boy on holiday. He's certainly rather relaxed and looking really good. Being in the hen house (and the greenhouse when warm) must suit him. I have swapped his blankie for a dry one as it does get a bit damp down there, especially as the pop hole is kept open so he can come and go as he pleases. Not sure what to do about that next weekend, with the fireworks. I think he'd go mad if he couldn't get out.

I must go and look for a poppy too - the whole thing seems that much more poignant for me this year because during my family history research I have found young male relatives who were killed in both WW1 and WW2. My parents' immediate families were both really lucky and although one of Dad's brothers was a POW, none were actually killed.

I am looking forward to hearing about the ham, PP! We often boil a gammon and use various flavourings including cider, but never coke.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

I'm exhausted. Having got the boys ready and dressed for school by 7am after half term week, I casually checked the diary to discover their half term doesn't actually end until when they go back on Wednesday! So major stress attack as I have masses to do and no childcare. Bloody school - still most of the Mums there don't work and if they do they have nannies so I guess it is OK for the vast majority.

Am working from home but that means banishing the boys to another part of the house so I can work and think. More guilt

Worried about Fifi, due to call the vet again in a few minutes. Balie, after his steriod course, is a new cat - good appetite, far less vomitting and more alert than for ages. Just need to get Fi's crisis out of the way and we can start looking into why/how the steriods have make such a change to him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #4

Hi all!. November already, the year has flown. Sunny but nippy this morning: 10 C (44 F); first frost predicted tonight in the City, so have been carrying all the pot plants indoors for the Winter. It takes a while to tote all those heavy pots up the stairs: 4 geraniums and 12 amaryllis; got a bit short of breath; getting old! But they're safely indoors and warm now. Had to clean windows in the back room where Leia has decorated them with sneezing "cat art" .... not a favorite chore, but nice and clear now, she can re-start. Funny, I rarely hear her sneezing, but the proof is on the glass... No trick-or-treaters last night, as usual.

Fingers still crossed for Fifi, Yola. PP, awaiting the ham report with interest: as I don't care for coke I am really curious to know how it tastes. Once again Angie, wish I could share my pot surplus with you.

Hope all goes well for everyone today.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
01-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #5

Evening all - hubby is away with work until Thursday so I am home alone dinner is catered for in the next couple of days though as I now have delish beef stifado and cous cous to reheat

Have a good evening all,

Good luck at the vets Yola x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
01-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #6

The ham-in-cola recipe is amazing, the ham is tender and would have fallen apart save for the net around it. The skin went a beautiful brown colour from the caramel in the coke and the sugars sweetened the meat to perfection. Now just to boil up some new spuds and broad beans and carrots, with a bit of red onion chutney on the side. Yum!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
01-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #7

Morning, all!
Soggy and windy here, 53 degrees.
Picked out my Giving Tree ferret for Christmas this year, very excited to play Santa to her, if you want to see her, here's her page http://www.ferretgivingtree.com/show...D=140&treeid=9
Really have a soft spot for the neurological now that I have Zero. I think I will buy this little girl everything on her wish list!!
No trick or treaters at all last night. K had a fire and I made some cookies and we watched some movies but that was all.
We'll need to pop out later for a bit to get the dogs some more food. Other than that, it should be pretty quiet.
I didn't get around to carving the pumpkin..too tired and my prep drawing of the face was a bit too poor to actually follow through Solomon is happily gnawing on the stem right now though...strange boy, he chews things like a dog
That ham sounds wonderful, I prefer my ham sweet!
Have a good day, all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #8

Evening all

Just back from work well not long ago homemade chicken curry, rice Nann, Chips....Scrumptious.

Yola how irritating.......have to say I often dream of going to work then wake up to find I have still to go.

Eileen I though Trick or Treat was a big thing in the USA?

Anyhow.... enjoying myself at work and feel on top of the World....not felt this good since I was diagnosed with breast cancer......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #9

Evening all, been busy all day and just catching up.
Had a lovely morning at work, two very special moments that make the job worthwhile.
A nice afternoon walk with Malaika, the found neighbours cat rolling around in my cat nip pot in the garden, so cute.
I will post a pic when i get chance.
PP your church's memory tree sounds lovely.
Angie you could always bring Harley in and keep him in a seperate room for bonfire night, this is what we do for the grotty neighbours cats.
Yola, i don't know how steroids work but i do know they can make you feel good, when our Dalmation was very ill, she perked up almost immediately when she was on them. Trouble is they are not good long term.
Eileen, we had about 10 trick ot treaters, i noticed the later it got, the larger the children,lol.
Kazz, hope you are enjoying your tea, going to shove a frozen pizza in for mine,lol.
Emma, hope you enjoyed your tea, it's nice when you have something readymade.
Tink, apparently you can feed pumpkin to cats, maybe Solomon fancies some.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
01-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #10

Tink, just had a look at Daisy, what a good idea