Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #31

Re: CRF - anyone?

No doubt, I am sure you will be flooded with stories soon

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-04-2005, 09:22 PM   #32

Looking forward to them!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
08-04-2005, 10:55 PM   #33

i wil agree that stafford are great with cats. they go so well together
your lot look well together Kazz

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
09-04-2005, 01:27 AM   #34

Thanks they do have their moments - but basically they are all good.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #35

Hi Kazz. I am new here. I have a 20 year old, Winston, he was diagnosed with CRF more than a year and a half ago.
Would be happy to share experiences etc if you would like.

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #36

Hello Elaine.

I would love to exchange stories and tips Oscar is 23 now and was diagnosed week between Christmas and New Year 2003 - so will be 2 years this Christmas. He hated and refused to eat the "special diet" so we just carry on as normal.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #37

Winston will occasionally eat the prescription food but not very often so I too feed him normally. Vets here are in disagreement with me over this but what am i supposed to do as its more important that he eats.
Have recently changed vets and am glad I have in some respects as my old vet kept telling me he also had an over active thyroid. New vet tested again and he has no such thing and it was never written in the notes that the old vet sent to the new vet. Winston is also on Prednisolone, because he had lost the use of his hind legs temporarily, old vet originally told me this was an anti inflamatory.
Find it all a bit distressing and frustrating at times, trying to understand it all, and all the conflicting advice etc.
Do you have any experience with sub-q fluids? Alot of people from the CRF support group reckon Winston would benefit from this but vets here just wont go for it.
Anyway Winston is looking pretty good, all things considered and is just such an adorable cat.

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2005, 11:46 PM   #38

Hi Elaine

I like you think eating food is more important than eating the presciption food, my vet said "go with what you feel is right" and to be honest I have done and so far no major ill effects. Thank God - but I like you have managed, to get my boy through to a good age therefore I think I know him best as do you.

I joined a/the CRF support group and I must say to me they seemed eager/quick to tell me of the sub q fluids - but to be honest thats not me. I would rather not let Oscar or Cleo (who was diagnosed with CRF 8 months ago but I am sure you know its a thing a lot of elderly cats suffer with) go through the fluid thing I know (sorry if it sounds harsh) that I would let them go than prolong their life this way. But the support group was helpful when first diagnosed - they almost keep you afloat .

But it's your choice - he is your cat and obviously you know whats best for you and he. You can only make descisions based on your feelings at the time. Its no good rebuking yourself or listening to others he's your cat as Oscar and Cleo are mine. I listen to the advice then make the best choice I can. Hard though isn't it.

Winston is a lovely name by the way not one I had considered for a cat but actually fits well - especially given Winston Churchills love of cats.

Anyhow my two eat anything and eveything I prefer they eat than try to make them eat the prescription food they have small but regualr meals of everything and anything have a look at this post I think page 4 to see what mine eat http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=122 is it similar to yours?

And was the loss of his back legs down to the CRF ie; Anaemia, high phosphorous?

Oh by the way what was Winston's Creatinine and Urea results? Poor CRF person aren't I, its normally the first thing they ask

Take care Karen

Catsey Veteran

26-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #39

My old vet never explained why Winston had lost the use of his back legs that day. Actually my old vet never really explained much at all and would get a bit stroppy with me for asking questions all the time.
Thanx for the link, I havent had a chance to look at it yet but I will.
Winstons Urea is 21 and Creatinine was 373.
The last blood test was much more in depth than any I ever got from my last vet and I am still trying to suss it all out. It seems the more I read the less it all sinks in to my thick skull. I get really confused and frustrated by it all.
like you, I have no wish to prolong Winstons life, I just want him to feel as good as I can help him to feel.
It is very hard trying to listen to the advice, take it all in and then try to decide whats best.
I do also give Winston the slippery elm bark syrup twice a day, which has really helped with the sickness. I also give him a B vitamin supplement and Iron supplement, in the form of Pet Tinic. I have also found this to have helped with his appetite and his general well being.
Winston mostly eats very well but there have been times when his appetite has wained.
His name was a toss up between Winston and Luther, I went for Winston as I felt it was more befitting He has a wanderfull nature and trusts me implicitly. He even mimics the way I lay on the sofa much to the amusement of my friends and my partner. He has such a huge fan base here, every one loves him.

Catsey Veteran

26-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #40

Hi Elaine,

Your Winston sounds a lot like my Oscar - a lovely natured cat. I thinkthe thing with CRF as you say is the more I learn the less I know so I concentrate on my two as my "bookmark" rather than what the experts and websites say. I know what is good for them so use that as my benchmark. Sounds like you do too. I also used slippery elm for a while too it did help.

But on the very very positive side considering I felt like (as I expect you did) I had been handed a death sentence when the vet said Chronic Renal Failiure and it will be 2 years since he was diagnosed this Christmas and he's 23 and when I took him back earlier this year the vet said "whatever you're doing just carry on because he really looking at these stats shouldn't be here" but he is alive and well and now having steriods for his arthritis. And then Cleo was diagnosed so I have two cats with CRF but I have to tell you they are happy healthy (for 23) and enjoy life to the full so you have the benefit of knowing CRF cats do live to a ripe old age - and still catch daddylongs legs that are daft enough to cross their paths

Karen