Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #11

Re: Furballs

I mentioned the brand Petromalt which is popular in the States; Katalax is, I believe, the same thing. It's a flavored petroleum jelly which most cats adore and will lick off your finger. I would check with the vet first seeing that he has tummy problems, but have never heard of any side effects of using it. I've never had a longhair; and believe it or not Leia has never had a furrball! I am so lucky...Patches my tortie was the odd cat who did not like Petromalt, and she was my furball queen! Yuck!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
01-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #12

Thanks DM, it makes you wonder how wild cats manage as Maxi appears to really go off his food when he has one brewing and can be sick a couple of times before it comes up and then just wants to eat and eat.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
02-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #13

Hello!
Katalax & various treats help push the furballs out the 'other end' as does the various furball foods I believe (available from our affiliate too!!!)

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/idevaffiliate...ate.php?id=275

and my two long haired fluff balls have totally different habits.. Sasha-Bella-Psycho-Hussey will relieve herself a little & often with 'furbits' rather than furballs whereas RigbyBigBear will approx 4 times a year bring up something resembeling the length of his entire intestine!!!!

Bless!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
02-07-2009, 08:06 AM   #14

So really from the sounds of that then MCL they can pretty much vary as to how often they get rid of them

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
02-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #15

Pauline the other thing to consider is that you guys are coming out of your cooler weather there, hence Maxi is possibly still shedding his winter coat?... so when he grooms... he is swallowing more?... just a thought...
As for the katalax.. George will lick it off my finger... and it works quiet well...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
02-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #16

Furballs are of a great variety & it obviously also depends on how much they groom, how much they shed & the type of fur they have!

I have to feed Bear Hills C/d for his bladder if not I would have tried the hairball variety!

I'll live with the furballs rather than another blockage in his bladder!!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #17

Off- topic posts have been deleted, I was trying to move the posts into a new thread but pressed the wrong button and they got merged into one post instead

Feel free to start a new thread on the topic if you wish