Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #31

Re: George is at the vet!

Weren't your vets kind not to charge for the 2 ultrasounds nd the x-ray? You've got a good practice there, Jo.

I remember going through all that with Merlin when he had his struvite problems. It was ages ago and the vet also found "gravelly" substances in his bladder by ultrasound. I think that's what can cause the irritations/inflammations etc. Merlin was put on a high pH diet at that point - the high acidity in the urine can get rid of the crystals over time. He was on that diet for years and years before finally refusing to eat it any more. At that point I went and bought him a new litter tray because his acidic urine had eaten into the plastic. He was however better on the diet and the instances of blockage/infection became the occasional bout of cystitis which responded well and every time to ab's.

Glad his teeth are not bad - hopefully his one duff one won't cause him pain. I think toothache pulls you down, and must do the same for cats.

Good luck George, you lovely old guy. Take care and be good for your mum. Hope your mood continues to pick up. Don't forget to drink loads of water.

I wonder what we'd do if we didn't have our furry friends to worry about!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
02-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesy
WOW, I echo your remark "where to start" , there has certainly been alot going on with George hasn`t there.
Glad to hear that everything is OK with George`s liver ,and that there is nothing wrong with his little peggys .
Strange about the sludgy stuff in his bladder , I do hope that it is nothing serious and clears up by itself.
Big chin tickle to George for being a big boyXxx
Thanks Pauline... Shane doesn't seem too worried about as it wasn't there a couple of weeks ago when he did the initial ultrasound...so fingers crossed it wont be there in a months time when he has his next one AND he doesn't have any more flare ups

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
02-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Weren't your vets kind not to charge for the 2 ultrasounds nd the x-ray? You've got a good practice there, Jo.

I remember going through all that with Merlin when he had his struvite problems. It was ages ago and the vet also found "gravelly" substances in his bladder by ultrasound. I think that's what can cause the irritations/inflammations etc. Merlin was put on a high pH diet at that point - the high acidity in the urine can get rid of the crystals over time. He was on that diet for years and years before finally refusing to eat it any more. At that point I went and bought him a new litter tray because his acidic urine had eaten into the plastic. He was however better on the diet and the instances of blockage/infection became the occasional bout of cystitis which responded well and every time to ab's.

Glad his teeth are not bad - hopefully his one duff one won't cause him pain. I think toothache pulls you down, and must do the same for cats.

Good luck George, you lovely old guy. Take care and be good for your mum. Hope your mood continues to pick up. Don't forget to drink loads of water.

I wonder what we'd do if we didn't have our furry friends to worry about!
Angie..very interesting about dear old Merlin having a similar complaint to George especially as he had such a wonderful long life...
I am very lucky with our vetinary surgery...Shane the vet that we see is a part owner in the practise andi know that he was very frustrated with Tinky passing so suddenly..he also told me that if one of my cats has a problem that he knows he has to have ALL the information at hand... because i ALWAYS ask very thorough questions... and wont settle for half answers!...He told me when he referred me to the Surgical oncologist that did Tinky's surgery...that he told him ... "Dont try and give her some half baked answer... cause she will have done her research and see right through it" ... that said i suppose we have a good doctor/patient/guardian relationship built on mutual respect and honor