Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #21

Re: George is at the vet!

If he has a bladder infection did the vet consider giving antibiotics? When Balie has his cystitis bouts it was always synolux which was prescribed.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
23-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #22

I wish it was an infection actually it would be easier to treat i think...but when they got the urine spec on Friday there was no infection present...it will be interesting to see how these anti depressants go...although its going to so much fun to try and pill him twice a day.. NOT
in any case he will have finished those by the time he goes back to the vet next Thursday (2/7) as he is booked in for a dental which i had organised prior to this bloody urine episode last week
Poor Georgie uesd to be such a laid back cat... but since Tinky's death he is a changed pussy cat...I just hope this issue sorts itself out soon... because as selfish as it sounds...i find it very difficult emotionally to keep on going to the vet all the time..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #23

Sorry Jo - I must have missed the fact that it wasn't an infection. Do you think he has bladder stones . . . it's an awfully strong reaction if stress-related (I mean the blood and all that).

I can fully imagine that it must be stressful for you too - but do leave the metacam alone, please

Almost a Veteran Member

23-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #24

lol Yola...Shane (joint owner of the vet practise i go to) said to me today.... "ok 1 pill twice a day for George...and how many would you like?"'... cheeky bo˙!
He also said that if there was stones/crystals then there would be some evidence of an enlarged bladder... and he said that his bladder was so small that he couldn't feel it when he palpated... indicating that it wasn't full... he also said that when they had him in last week to get the urine spec he did an ultrasound of the bladder to get the urine spec via a needle directly into the bladder because George wouldn't oblige them with a sample and there wasn't anything that showed up from that...
I know that Tinky could go from normal urination to blood stained in about 20 mins due to stessy cystitis.. because i saw it during the last couple of months of his life...on one occassion i took him to the vet after he decided it would be fun to remove some of his own stitches...they decided to bandage up his lower half( he looked like an organ grinders moneky!!) he was fine when i took him to the vet and within 5 minutes of us getting home he was peeing drops of bloodied urine on the bathroom floor... i rang the vet and had to take him back down to make sure there was no blockage...
if i han't have seen it happen i wouldn't have believed it would have happend so quickly... but apparently idiopathic cystitis is by far the most common type in cats...
As for the metacam... it is honey flavoured...but its only a 15 ml bottle... the syringe on it is marked in kg increments as the dosage is based on the subject weight.....and the increment doesn't go to 69 kgs ... only 10 lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
23-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #25

Hope he feels better soon poor wee man!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #26

Sending calming and healing vibes to George, bless him .......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #27

Jo - how is George coming on? I do hope he's OK......

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
02-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #28

Hello! Sorry to hear about George....

If you want to try herbal remedy rather than stronger meds (might be cheaper/more effective too not sure?!) or alternatively I have Feliway infusers plugged in all the time in my house.... (both are available from our Vet UK affiliate sight!)...

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/idevaffiliate...ate.php?id=275

Hope things settle down and give him a chin scrubble for me & the Tribe!!

Almost a Veteran Member

02-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #29

ok... where to start...George had his "course" (albeit only a 5 day one!) of his antidepressant...1 tablet twice a day made him a very spaced out boy... and to be honest i wan't entertaining any hopes of it doing any good.. but since he has finished the course he is quite a bit happier... certainly not back to his oldself... but not as grumpy and is enjoying things like his tummy rubs and brushing etc..
As mentioned previously i had booked him in for a dental which was today... and there were a couple of things that came from that... some good... some not so good...
The good first...
3 days after Tinky died...i took George to get his vac's as he was overdue... they did a wellness blood screen which showed some changes in his liver enzymes... the vet said that as George was well there was no need to be too concerned... but we would repeat the test in 12 months time at the next vac's or before if his situation changed..
Well whilst he was under today having his teeth cleaned they did an ultrasound of his liver and there is no evidence of any problems with his liver.... which is good ..

They also ultrasounded his bladder again and there was a small collection of ??? which showed up on the screen...Shane (our vet) printed off the picture so he could show me.. he said that sometimes with cystitus there can be a collection of tiny grains... that mix with the lining of the bladder and create a sludge like material that attaches itself to the wall of the bladder... there was no dead space behind the sludge area which implies that the waves were able to pass through he said that sometime if they tap the area with the ultrasound probe it will break up and losen... he did this and it didn't change... so he did a quick xray and what ever it was didn't show on the xray... so.... what is it? He believes it is this sludgy substance and he wants me to keep an eye on Georges litter habbits to make sure there is no evidence of blood in his urine... another ultrasound in a months time to see if it is still there... if it is... we will just monitor him... if not then it will have been the sludgy material and it will have dissapated of its own accord.. I asked him about the ultraound he did when I first presented George with blood urine... and he said it wasn't there then... so who knows..... of course if it is still there and he has some further problem with blood in his urine then they may have to open him up and scrape it all out... but at the moment he doesn't that that is a likely scenario... I asked about lithotripsy and it's not done on cats in Australia..
The other thing they found is that when they cleaned his teeth... they were very good with the exception of one of his back teeth...no cavities or anything just a bit of gingivitis around the tooth and it had gone under the gum line and caused some errosion in his jaw bone... just in one spot... the particular tooth is not loose but we did catch it in time...

So.. we have to keep an eye on his toilet habits... (nothing new there) and also he hasn't lost one single ounce on his diet.... despite being incredibly strict with it... so they have changed to another prescription diet that is metabolised in a different manner... so we will see how we go on that one...

When i went to pick him up and they took me in to the room to fill me in on what had been done... i was expecting a big bill... but they didn't charge me for the 2 ultrsounds or the bladder xray... as they had just got a new ultrasound machine and shane wanted to test it out... and with the bladder xray Shane wanted to compare results with the ultrasound to see if he could see stones on it... ( lot of stones will show up on xray)

fingers crossed we get no more blood/urine episodes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
02-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #30

WOW, I echo your remark "where to start" , there has certainly been alot going on with George hasn`t there.
Glad to hear that everything is OK with George`s liver ,and that there is nothing wrong with his little peggys .
Strange about the sludgy stuff in his bladder , I do hope that it is nothing serious and clears up by itself.
Big chin tickle to George for being a big boyXxx