Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: crossbreed
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #1

My pregant pud head ...

Hi everyone im new here .... I jus have a quick question really .. My cat Macy is heavily pregnant but I would like to know how I know when she is goin into labour ??

I have written on my calender the day that I saw here being mated but not sure if that was the first time or not

She has been lookin around the house but nothin major .. she is really restless but I have put that down to this heat as she cant seem to get comfy .

I have made her a nursing box but she wont go near it so not really sure what to do .

Im sorry for these questions but I have never had cats before and jus want to do my best by her .

I dont really want to go out and leave her alone incase she has problems with her labour.... I feel like an old mother hen .

I do hope you can help .

Thanks for reading xx

Tracy xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #2

Re: My pregant pud head ...

Tracey, I don't have experience of birthing cats but there are others here who do and I'm sure they'll be along with advice soon.

Do you mind if I ask whether it was an accidental litter? If so you really should consider having Macy spayed once she has had her litter to prevent it happening again, because it can . . . very quickly too!

03-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #3

Hi there ... yes a total accident .. and we are going to have her done once the kittens are born ..which is another thing how soon after the kittens are born can we get her done .. Macy's mum (not with us but with a mate) is constantly pregnant .. well seems to be and I dont want this for Macy .. I dont think its fair on cats to be like that .

Macy's kittens will get loving homes im not so worried about that its jus the fact that I dont want her to get pregnant again xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
03-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #4

Hi Tracy,
As a general rule the feline pregnancy last 63-65 days, although there are always exceptions to that rule!
Keeping an eye on her mammary glands will give you an indication of the proximity of her labour, but again, there will always be exceptions to the rule. Generally, the mammary glands themselves will noticeably increase in size within the last week of gestation and will begin to produce milk approx 48hrs before labour begins. It is probably best to keep Macy indoors during the last two weeks of pregnancy.
As labour begins she may become restless, searching out somewhere to give birth-usually anywhere but the specially prepared kittening box! Some cats will 'nest', scratching up paper or bedding etc.
Most cats will give birth without need for any intervention however it is always a good idea to let your vet know that Macy is giving birth so they aware, should any problems arise needing attention. Constant, unproductive straining may indicate dystocia or 'difficult birth' and you should contact your vet immediately. It is also a good idea, if you can, to count the placentas delivered to check that they correspond to the number of kittens born.
After the birth, monitoring mum and babies is important, checking for any signs of pyrexia (high temperature), mastitis- heat or redness of the mammary glands, foul smelling discharge or excessive bleeding from the vagina (some discharge is normal however)
If she is happy to let you, handling the kittens is important too. As they are born it is vital to check for congenital abnormalities such as cleft palate, check that they have an anal opening etc. Handling the kittens on a daily basis, an ideally weighing them will allow you to monitor their progress and ensure that they are gaining weight.
The kittens should begin to be weaned at 3-4 weeks, once they are fully weaned, Macy's milk supply will begin to dry up. Usually we would wait approx a fortnight after the milk has dried up to spay mum. It it important that you keep her indoors though as it has been known for queens to become pregnant again once kittens are weaned!

Catsey Veteran

03-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #5

Sorry for the essay reply! It is always better to have a full idea of what to expect, as well as what could possibly go wrong, so you are fully prepared. The FAB website also has very good information on pregnancy and birth which you could look at.
I'm glad you plan to have Macy spayed once her kittens are weaned, as you say, it is unfair to let cats have litter after litter of kittens. Let us know how it all goes!

03-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #6

Hi and thanks for all your very informative advice .... I will certainly be lookin out for the milk now then .. I jus needed a few clues for what to look out for .

She doesn't really want to go out at the moment and if she does its usually really late at nite and I dont let her go any way . The front or back door is open but she jus lays on the rug bless her .

By my reckonin she has about another week or so to go but I jus wanted some advice to be on the safe side .

I am tryin to get hold of a dog crate or something similar so she can have her babies in there as I have an older cat too ... they really get on well together but dont want Macy thinking she is tryin to get at her babies ... do you think this is a good idea ?

Thanks again for all your help .. im new to all this and jus want to do whats right xx

03-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #7

Thanks PinkLizzy again ... but please fill me in .. what is the FAB website ?

Im sorry im really blonde and like i said ... new to all this lol xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #8

I do wish you and Macy well - hope all goes normally.

My adopted cat Smudge gave birth to three kits - many years ago - it was an experience that I will always remember and be thankful for. I hope that you will be able to enjoy the experience too. It is good that you plan to have Macy spayed in due course.

Please let us know how things go.

Catsey Veteran

03-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #9

Sorry, it's the Feline Advisory Bureau, if you google it, it should come up.
It is probably to keep Macy and her babies seperate from the other cat, at least intially, although she may have other ideas about where she wants to give birth!

03-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #10

hi again and thanks again for yr replies . I must admit it did throw me a bit at first as I also have an adopted cat called smudge lol , she is the one who is alot older than Macy .

Thanks for the website I shall go and look now .

As soon as I have any news I will post it here ... and thanks your help has been great , im sure I will have loads more questions xx