Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
20-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #21

Re: Spice may have CRF.

Well, Spice has high blood pressure, over the morning it started at 190 and rose to 240, even stressed it shouldn't get above 170, I think they said. She is now on istin, the good news is that the reduction in her blood pressure, should take the strain off her kidneys and the fact that she has, practically, no protien in her urine means for the time being the prognosis is good.
Sorrell the bun had some sharp hooks on her upper right teeth, but that has been seen to, so hopefully she will not need anymore vet visits ( except for vaccines) for a wee while.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #22

Good news for both, farthing. It's so worrying when they're ill....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
21-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #23

It's good to hear promising news

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #24

http://www.felinecrf.org/symptoms.ht...essure_control

Istin, thats the name of what Winny was given too.

Catsey Veteran

21-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #25

Thanks for that Elaine. It looks like Spice has been quite a lucky girl, in that we have discovered it early and her vets have done all the relevant tests and have the equipment to do them. I really hope this means we slow things down be quite a bit. Her conditions are all interlinked, it seems, as she is also hyperthyriod, but with lots of regular monitoring, we well keep things in control, I hope.
She is due back in 2 weeks time, for a blood pressure check again and blood tests, so we will be able to tell how things are going.

Catsey Veteran

04-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #26

Spice is off back to the vet tomorrow for another blood sample and blood pressure check. She has been on istin and renal diet for 2 weeks now, so it has hopefully made a difference. I have noticed she has stopped yowling when eating, so I wonder if it had something to do with her blood pressure. She is very thin though but only eats about 2 sachets a day and even leaves some of that. Fingers crossed anyway.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #27

Fingers crossed here too, farthing, hope the blood work results will be good for Spice tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
04-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #28

Hope all goes well for Spice at the vets tomorrow

Catsey Veteran

05-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #29

Thanks everybody.
It GOOD news, Spice's blood pressure is down to 175, within the normal range, so she will stay on the same dose of istin. Her urea and creatine levels are also back down to within the normal ranges, admittedly the high end but still normal. For the moment all she needs is to keep on with her medication and the renal diet.
I know she will probably go on to develop renal failure, but at least we have slowed it down for the momnet and given her a bit longer, I am so delighted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #30

That's good news farthing. Please give dear Spice a gentle cuddle from me and Kizzy.