Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese cross Siamese
09-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #21

Re: Another newbie! -neutropenia

Thanks for your suggestion re pet shirts, Pooky. I had a look on Google but it rather looks as if they're not in common use here although they sound like a good idea. I'd have to ask the vet about them as there doesn't seem to be an option for buying one online.

Yola, no I haven't had Solomon from a kitten, he's about 8 or 9 now, but it seems his owners moved and left him behind, by which time he had decided that he preferred my pad to his own anyway! Having lost my own two cats by then I was happy to take him on. Little did I know then what I was letting myself in for! Had he been mine from the start I would have made sure that his early vaccinations included the one for FIV which I always did with my previous kittens.

Yes, he is a fighter and has been neutered. You can't really see in the photograph but he has a tattered ear, legacy of an almighty set-to with a cat that lives nearby a few years ago. I remember dashing out to break it up and then bathing poor Sol's ear with warm salt water. He gave as good as he got though, I heard later that the other cat had to be treated for an abscess!

He is still having difficulty getting used to that collar, especially when it comes to eating as he needs to put his head right down so that the rim of the hood part encircles the saucer, and he can't seem to get the hang of doing that. I hope he gets the right idea soon, I can see both of us ending up nervous wrecks otherwise!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #22

If my memory is right I think our Moli has used those shirts for her cats. I don't know if she got them from the vet or on line. PinkLizzie might know also; hope one of then comes on, or you could PM them.

Edited: I just PMd Moli re this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #23

Gumby Cat - where in Berkshire are you? Just curious incase you're in my locale because the vets I use have been (over the past 12 years) a huge source of knowledge and reassurance with the FIV and with other issues I've had with my total of 5 cats over the years.

PM me if you're more comfortable . . .

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
10-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
If my memory is right I think our Moli has used those shirts for her cats. I don't know if she got them from the vet or on line. PinkLizzie might know also; hope one of then comes on, or you could PM them.

Edited: I just PMd Moli re this.
Yeah Dm... I think Moli has used them...they are hard to get here too gumby... but some vets do have them...Tinky had one after one of his surgerier earlier this year...... they are fabulous... you just have to make sure you get the right size...he was a really stressy cat and tolerated them very well...good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
10-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #25

I always use t-shirts for the animals, both dogs and cats...
This is the link for some new idea, my vets have them at the mo, so think they will be quite easy to obtain....

http://www.medicalpetshirts.com/pages/44uk_index.html

Catsey Junior

10-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #26

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Sol managed to remove his collar last night! With the help of a friend we managed to push it back on again much to his annoyance, but this morning while I was having breakfast he shed it again! This time I made the decision to leave it off as he's obviously got the knack of pulling it over his head by shaking it violently and clawing at the collar so there's really not much point. He's so much happier without it, the staple stitches are still in place and he doesn't appear to be worrying away at the wound which looks nice and healthy. I dabbed it with some dilute Savlon but it's not oozing at all. I'll keep an eye on it of course, but as long as he's kept in he shouldn't come to much harm - I hope!

I will ask the vet about the medical shirt although I doubt whether he would take too kindly to that either! At the moment I'm housebound myself as I'm desperately fighting a cold so am not anxious to go out if I can help it.

Catsey Junior

02-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #27

Hi, I thought I'd let you know that the results of Sol's bone marrow biopsy have finally come through. The good news is that he hasn't got FLV but does have auto-immune deficiency (FIV?) He now has to go on a course of steroids for three weeks, after which they will take another blood test to see how his white blood cells are reacting. Meanwhile I still have to keep him indoors to which he takes great exception, particularly this weather!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #28

Hi - I had a cat with FIV, if you need any questions answered I'll try and help. Contrary to popular belief it's not a death sentence and cats can live long and happy lives with the condition. All the best to you both.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #29

Hi,
sorry to hear Sol has FIV, sadly there is no vaccine for it so you couldn't really have prevented it, other than stopping him fighting- not an easy thing.
I lost a 5 year old cat, Trigger, to the effects of FIV last year, this is how I found Catsey. He was pretty much healthy most of the time we had him, even lost a leg, but started to catch more and more infections and finally started to retain water. At this point we had to PTS. Just after, we were asked to take on a 13 year old cat, it turned out (after a blood test) she was also FIV.
We keep her seperate for the other cats, although Trigger, interacted with them all the time and non of them were FIV positive. She is doing really well, and we've had her a year. The only thing I do is if she seems the slightest bit out of sorts, whip her into the vets as she is immuno suppressed.
I would say, to be fair to other cats, he should be kept in from now on, it means he can't pass it on, and it will also reduce the risk of him picking anything us from outside.
From what I've read it doesn't mean the end for them, and they can live many years, happily with it. I certainly wouldn't avoid taking in another cat, just because it was FIV.

Catsey Junior

05-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #30

If the steroids have the desired effect and increase his white blood cell count, wouldn't it be safe to let him out then? It's going to make his life (and mine!) a misery if he has to be kept in for the rest of his life, he's so used to bheing out in the garden. It was particularly trying during the recent warm spell as I daren't open the windows wide. Twice I caught him trying to get out of the bathroom window, knocking plants from the window sill into the bath in the attempt which didn't do them much good! Luckily it's a small window and not quite big enough for him. I imagine he'll have to go on taking steroids for evermore, fortunately, crushed up and mixed with his food he's getting them down OK. The vet did warn they would probably increase his appetite and they've certainly done that although I'm trying to make sure he doesn't eat too much and get overweight.