Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese cross Siamese
02-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #1

Another newbie! -neutropenia

Hello everyone, I live in S.E. UK and I am now owned by a lovely Burmese/Siamese X cat called Solomon, but he has a worrying problem.

He had a blood test following teeth extractions in January and this showed that he has a low white cell blood count known as neutropenia. I was persuaded to let him have a bone marrow biopsy last week to see what was causing it, I was told it could be one of three things - Feline AIDS, leukaemia or histoplasmosis. Although the results came through this week they were inconclusive, the lab said there wasn't enough of the sample to make a diagnosis, and the poor soul has to go through another op this coming week which I'm not at all happy about. He seems well enough in himself, always ready for something to eat but wants to go out and this is not allowed for the time being so he's very frustrated.

I wondered whether anyone else here has had a similar problem and if so, what was the outcome?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #2

Re: Another newbie! -neutropenia

I am terribly sorry to hear that Solomon is unwell. I am afraid that I have no experience of any of the conditions you mention. I am sure another member will be along shortly who may be able to help. I do have fingers and toes crossed for your cat.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
02-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #3

So sorry to hear about Solomon, I too, am unfamiliar with those conditions ....... I'm hoping one of our members will be able to offer you some help.

Welcome to Catsey by the way......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
02-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #4

Hi,
Sorry to hear Solomon has been unwell. Has he had any blood tests for FIV or FeLV prior to the bone marrow prior to the bone marrow biopsy? This can done either with an in-house 'snap-test' or bloods sent to an external laboratory.
From what I understand, Histioplasmosis is a fungal infection which can cause enlarged lymph nodes, laboured breathing, pale mucous membranes etc. Diagnosis would usually involve chest radiographs and possibly a fine needle aspirate of the enlarged lymph nodes.
A further bone marrow biopsy seems a very invasive procedure to undertake before these tests have been carried out? I hope you are able to talk to your vet next week and hopefully get some more answers.
Lots of love to Solomon.
Lxx

Catsey Junior

02-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #5

Thanks for your good wishes, lovely photo of Kizzy, Angie.

Solomon has had several blood tests since January which keep showing different levels of white blood cells. Presumably FIV and FetV were included in at least one of the tests, they weren't mentioned at all. Apparently the white cell reading should be 2.6, at one point it went down to 1.7 but it seems to vary a lot. All I've been told is that the condition is called neutropenia which seems to be a sort of blanket name for several different diseases. Sol certainly doesn't have laboured breathing and the x-rays he's had didn't show up anything abnormal. So it looks like it's a case of just having to wait and see which I'm finding stressful to say the least. I always thought that leukaemia meant a high white cell blood count, not low, but perhaps it's different for animals?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
03-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #6

Welcome to Catsey! Sorry you are having health worries with Solomon...but i speak from experience when i say that you will get lots of support from the people on Catsey. I hope the vets can sort out his problem and get him fighting fit again..

Jo, George and Princess Harri

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #7

Poor Solomon and poor you, must be a very stressful and worrying time for you both.
I dont have any experience of the condition and I agree with Pinklizzy that it all sounds very invasive for Solomon, especially if other avenues have not been taken first. I'd probably call and talk with the vet, asking if these particular blood test were done and what the results were, I do not trust the snap tests but that is my personal opinion.
I have always been a beleiver in being as pro active as I can when it comes to my cats and their well being, so it might not be a bad idea for you to try and read up on the conditions mentioned in order for you to be able to ask your vet as many niggling questions as you feel necessary. It might help you to understand exactly whats going on and what your options may be.
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com...ategoryId=8678
http://www.pethealth101.com/feline_l... mia&pagenum=2
http://www.healthgene.com/vdl/d413.asp
I have found a few links which may or may not be of use to you and I sincerely wish you both well xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #8

Hi and welcome to Catsey, sorry to hear that you are having these problems with Solomon, they are such a worry , hopefully his problem will be diaganosed soon and the treatment necessary administered.
Can`t really offer any advice myself but there seems to have been plenty given already, good luck and hope to hear some good news soon

Catsey Junior

03-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #9

Thanks for the links Elaine. I don't think myself Sol has got histoplasmosis, he doesn't seem to show any of those symptoms, but I suppose it could be one of the other two connected with neutropenia.

It's very wearing having to keep him in all the time, he can't get used to being an indoor cat as he does love to go out and patrol his territory, occasionally having a bust-up with his arch-enemy, a large black boy who lives nearby! He's on Synulox antibiotics at the moment, a quarter tablet twice a day which I think is starting to give him diarrhoea as it isn't a very pleasant job cleaning out his litter tray - something I'm not used to as he's always gone out to do his "do's" before!

They are all very fond of him at the vet's as he is a friendly puss and normally looks rather beautiful. Not quite so good at the moment as he had a lot of fur shaved off prior to the last op. which is just starting to grow again but I suppose it will all have to come off again

Oh well, che sera sera. If this biopsy doesn't show up anything positive I'm definitely not going to allow him to go through it all yet again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #10

Hi and welcome to Catsey; sorry your first visit was with sad news about Solomon, who sounds a lovely boy. I too am unfamiliar with his problem; and hope something can be done to help him.