Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #1

Frustrated + despairing

We have had the issue with Katie refusing to eat the Hills renal kibble so changed her onto the canned version. She ate that for a while and then started to leave it

Got some cans of RC renal food to try and tempt her with a different taste, couple days into a changeover and we thought it was going to work, it didnt

Read on another forum that raw tripe is okay for renal sufferers so bought some fozen blocks to mix into her canned food - that was a mistake, no matter how small or well its mixed in, she picks it out. She now refuses to eat unless she gets tripe

I did get her to eat some canned food today well mixed up with canned tripe in jelly but it wont last. [Butchers]

I know renal patients can feel sick + this is probably a contributing factor

I am now beginning to wonder if it is worth making her miserable with a diet she does not like or want - I wont go down the route of sitting her out as others have suggested, she cant afford to lose anymore weight than she has. I would rarther sit and spoon feed her baby food and tripe than sit her out

Being on a renal diet would hopefully extend her life whereas any other kind would probably reduce her life span.

These past number of days have just made me wonder which is best for Katie herself. Its just heart breaking

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
20-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #2

Re: Frustrated + despairing

Oh Velvet... what a horrible place to be. 'fraid I've no actual advice, but feel free to vent...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
20-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #3

Couldn't you do both together. A renal diet plus normal diet?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #4

I'm so sorry Velvet. Just something I think Elaine has mentioned before, can you raise her dishes? You may already do this of course but I believe it helps relieve the sickness feelings.

Have you tried Slippery Elm? Works for cats, not sure about dogs.

Catsey Veteran

20-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet.Tears
Couldn't you do both together. A renal diet plus normal diet?
That i dont know. Renal diets appear a bit complicated. Its getting the measurements right & not causing more harm than necessary. In a lot of ways it was easier to cater for Rosie & her Liver disease than it is with Renal disease

Catsey Veteran

20-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I'm so sorry Velvet. Just something I think Elaine has mentioned before, can you raise her dishes? You may already do this of course but I believe it helps relieve the sickness feelings.

Have you tried Slippery Elm? Works for cats, not sure about dogs.
Ive heard of folk that use s.elm. Im wary as she also has colitis. In herbal range, fresh young / its v concentrated so very little is used, comfrey leaves are also good for digestion however very little makes her nauseous.

They have raised feed bowls, always found Boxers did better with that

I know either going to have to risk a home made diet or mix
Ordinary food with the renal, its just the worry I will do more harm than good

Shes a very sweet gentle dog, always has been, joy to rear & live with. As a vet once said, if you went out to buy a dog, Katie is exactly what you would be looking for

Thanks for listening to me...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #7

I would trust slippery elm - it can be used for ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease in humans. I found this link. Perhaps ask your vet for his/her advice about using it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #8

Helen, i'm sorry you have all this worry.
I have a similar problem with Tom. I tried RC wet renal food with him and he sometimes eats a bit of it but certainly doesn't relish it. I did read somewhere that it's very important for renal cats to eat , i assume it's the same for dogs, they can quickly go down hill if they don't.
I tried feeding a bit of ordinary with the renal and also giving renal in the morning and ordinary at night. Not perfect but the best i can do.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #9

I would think myself that any food is better than no food and raising her food bowl is a good idea and what about warming her food a little? it may hep her eat as it would "wet" her taste buds due to the scent increasing (heat any food up and it give off more of a smell)

Just to add her appitite could well have decreased due to a variety of reasons.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #10

You are really between a rock and a hard place. I guess I'd try the half-renal and half normal, and ask the vet what she suggests when an animal is obviously very unhappy with the diet and refusing to eat? I'm so sorry this is happening...