Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
27-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #1

Pancreaitis

Looks like Harris has panreaitis. Bit of a shock tonight but atleast it is an illness which is more common than the initial illness!

Just wondering if anyone elses furbaby has suffered from this and how they managed it and how their baby was?

Any advise would be appreciated x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
27-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #2

Re: Pancreaitis

Oh Pamela, I'm sorry that poor Harris has this. Sorry, I know nothing about it in felines, only in humans, but it is treatable. My godson has it. He got it through diabetes, I think, or it may have been the other way round.. Hopefully your vet will come up with a good treatment plan that you and Harris can both live by. All the best and do please let us know how Harris is getting along.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #3

Pamela .... Cassie had tri-pancreatitis about 12 years ago and had to be hospitalised for 5 days. She had a high temperature, stopped eating and drinking, she didn't go to the toilet and she just didn't move. She was immediately put on a drip, given ABs and appetitie enhancers. At one stage, we nearly lost her where she was so ill but thank goodness she gradually pulled through.

The vet said there was no real cause for it, just that it can happen any time to cats

We were encouraged to go to the pet hospital every evening as we were more likely to coax her with food. We were allowed to take her home two days before Christmas with a collection of meds including appetite enhancers and food.

It was 6 - 8 weeks before she was back to her usual self.

http://www.knowyourcat.info/health/pancreatitis.htm

http://www.grovelodgevets.co.uk/advi...atitis-in-cats

I hope all goes well with Harris .... thinking of you..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
27-04-2016, 11:48 PM   #4

No advice or experience of it personally, but so sorry to hear your boy has this. Hope he is feeling better very soon xx

Catsey Veteran

28-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the links mags. Glad to hear that darling cassie recovered from it x Harris sytoms are very similar except the high temp. His seems to be normal. I decided not to have him moved to animal hospital at night then back to my vet for day treatment as it would be too stressful for him and I wasn't happy with the care he had from hospital at the weekend. I spent time with him last night in the vet and he was settled. No point moving him.

He had a good night. Eating and doing all of his business and was bright this morning so hopefully we ate making steps towards recovery and his insurance also covers it.

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. I will keep you updated xx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #6

I'm pleased to hear Harris is improving, Pamela .... I hope it continues and he is back to his 'old' self very soon.

Catsey Veteran

28-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

He may get home tomorrow as he is doing so well!! Can't wait to get my boy back.

Really annoyed with vets though as 1 told me last night the ultrasound shows its pancreaitis but the vet that spoke to Steven today told him it's cholangiohepatitis! ! Steven has said he will get Harris tomorrow if he gets home but I have told him I will do it as I want answers as to why we have been told 2 different diagnosis!

Sorry for the rant. Was so relieved when we got a definitive answer and now it's all changed as 2 vets can't agree on it!

Almost a Veteran Member

28-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #8

Oh dear, Pamela, more worries for you. Anyway, hopefully Harris will be able to come home today. I'm keeping everything crossed for that. I do hope the vets can manage to come to an agreement over Harris . It's horrible to be kept in limbo.. I'll be thinking of you both.

Catsey Veteran

29-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #9

Got my boy home! He is still poorly but much better than he had been. All his his bloods and Liver enzymes are down so he is going in the right direction. Also learned tonight that he has anorexia!! Also dealing with that!! Going to put him in mias crate tonight with a litter tray, food and water along with a blanket in my room so he can settle without skye bothering him and stealing his food. Will do that over weekend to give him a fighting chance.

Just soo glad he is home thank you to everyone for all your kind thought and positive vibes x we really appreciate it xx

Almost a Veteran Member

29-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #10

Good grief, anorexia as well !!!!! Poor Harris, but I'm so pleased that he is now at home with you and at least going in the right direction. I'll be thinking of you both over the weekend Pamela and praying that Harris continues to improve for you. All the very best.