Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
27-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #31

Re: Excessive bank charges - anybody going to complain to their bank?

Good for you Emma. I have no idea about these things. I remember a few years ago getting charhed £30 for going over my account by £5 and not being able to pay up. The charges piled up to £200 by the time I managde to get them to put a halt on it, but I had to pay that back in bits for quite a while.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
27-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #32

It really is ridiculous Alex, how these charges can mount up. I am totally for the banks covering their charges but extortionate amounts for going just a few £'s overdrawn is just terrible.

I only have a claim with Barclays and Abbey left going through the courts now. The Abbey claim is now going to a case management hearing in December They have stated that they will be using a forensic accountant for an expert report if we go to a full hearing, I wonder if they know I work for an accountants!!!! lol

Catsey Veteran

27-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #33

They are using these tactics just to scare people into not attending any court hearings!!! They might get a bit of a shock when I turn up!!! lol

Catsey Veteran

12-12-2006, 08:20 PM   #34

There is a program on BB2 tonight called Bank Robbery 10pm, I will be watching with interest

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6169539.stm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #35

and here's another link with instructions on how to make a claim. Alex - why don't you give it a whirl? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6170209.stm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #36

Interesting thread may look into it, not sure I've ever been charged anything like any big amounts though but will look into it.

Catsey Veteran

13-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #37

Well I had two claims outstanding, one was heard in court today (that is where I have been this morning) for a case management hearing, Abbey didn't turn up but they faxed over to the courts yesterday confirmation that they will NOT be defending my claim (which is for about £3,500) and they are going to pay me. The Judge was lovely and told me that he would adjourn the hearing for a month and if Abbey hadn't paid by then he would reopen the case. He wasn't very happy that they hadn't contacted me (his copy letter was dated 11th Dec) and I said that perhaps the letter was waiting for me when I got home (it wasn't)

My last claim (Barclays) have just phoned to say that they are going to settle (this is after I have sent 70 pages of evidence which included previous cases which constituted penalty charges) once I have accepted money will be in my account within 48 hours, they are panicing a bit as my court hearing is for 2nd Jan

I hope this will give anybody who is thinking about getting their charges back encouragement to do so.

Catsey Veteran

13-12-2006, 06:59 PM   #38

Just totalled up all of our claims which come to £10,500 I am surprised looking back at some months that we didn't go bankrupt

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #39

Okay can I ask what are you classing as charges? I have gone back through a years statements and only have a total of £72.98 am I missing something how do you get these amounts?

Catsey Veteran

13-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #40

lol I think you must have better money management than me and my OH Kazz

The charges all relate to going overdrawn, bouncing cheques, card missuse fees, unauthorised overdraft.

It sounds as if we were really bad, but as an example one month we went overdrawn with Abbey for a few £s and we had £241 worth of charges in a week because of one item, when we realised and paid some money in (to cover the charges and get the account back in credit, it was too late and they had already been charged)