Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
18-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #1

Catteries

Evening everyone,

OH and i are now looking into our holiday in August and looking at potential catteries for Harris and Skye. How do you decide which cattery to go for? What do you look for in a cattery that will make you feel better about being the bad "mummy" and leaving them for a few days?

Any help would be great

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #2

Re: Catteries

Sorry Pamela, I've never had to use a cattery. That's not to say I might not have to find one in the future so I will be interested to see the replies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
19-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #3

i had a wee look at the other post about catteries. Looking into 1 that im going to visit on saturday which is really close to us.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #4

Yes, I see you'd seen the other thread - hope the cattery is really nice, clean and friendly!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #5

I only used one once, many many years ago on my side of the Pond of course; never again. It was a lovely, well known, respected clean and well run place, but my boy hated it so much he wouldn't eat and lost 3 pounds .....!!! Never again!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
21-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #6

look around all the catteries without giving them notice (just check opening times) they should let you in if its not feeding time, they should have nothing to hide. Make sure they are clean, smell right, the cats look ok in there (and I usually see if there are good breeds, as owners wouldnt leave expensive cats just anywhere) also check out the owners knowledge of cats and interest in your cat. Mine asked about my cats temperament and diet and was genuienly concerned.
when leaving your cat, wear a t shirt or dressing gown for a week without washing it (even in bed) and then put that in the cattery pen with your cat, there should be enough scent on it for 2 weeks so your cat feels settled and smells home and you around them.