Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
15-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #1

Lavender Oil

My OH's cousin bought me some Lavender Oil and an Oil burner, as I was telling her that my quality of sleep has been awful lately.

So, on Wednesday evening I put the oils on during the evening and then blew the burner out at bed time. Well, it certainly did the job but had an unexpected side effect - I woke up on Thursday morning, and this morning again, with all 3 cats and the dog sleeping in the bedroom. My OH leaves for work at 5.30am, so opens the cat flap for the cats and they are normally out then, but nope, not yesterday or this morning. In fact they were all sleeping until 9 this morning after I woke them all up!!

Do you think this is ok for them? It is just essential oils, so wouldn't think it would be harmful. The cats are so chilled out and extra affectionate, Vinnie who spends most of his day outdoors has been in and out of the house all day over the last 2 days, coming in for cuddles.

Most odd!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #2

Re: Lavender Oil

What a lovely story! I don't think that so long as the animals don't actually come into contact with the essential oils, then it's fine. I expect you know that no essential oil should ever be used direct on the skin unless it is a few drops in a carrier oil.

My pup Monty has been a very agitated dog until just recently - I grow lavender and I picked one flower stalk and rubbed it between my hands and lightly stroked his ears with it. I don't believe that's what's changed him into a lovely relaxed and relatively good boy with just one go, but reading your experience, I am now wondering.

Catsey Senior

15-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #3

The oil is in a burner far too high up from reach, so no direct contact with the animals, and I didn't know that you should not use it directly on the skin so am glad you mentioned that. I haven't done that but its good to know.

From the very quick change in my animals, I wouldn't be too surprised if that may well have helped your Monty . It is amazing, the cats are behaving the same way they did when we had a feliway defuser in the house when we first got Poppy. And that was just after a few hours after putting the lavender on. Poppy is a crazy spaniel, and even she is notably more chilled out. It is strange, but I am loving the extra contentment and cuddles I am getting from all the animals! And I just love the smell of Lavender too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #4

That's really interesting, Manyana; I have no experience with essential oils, but it certainly is an odd coincidence that you had such a relaxing sleep and the animals seem really chilled out. And Angie's experience adds to the data.... anyone else know about similar experiences?

Catsey Veteran

16-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #5

It is interesting, isn't it? I will ask a friend of mine who is a trained nurse and aromatherapist.

Catsey Senior

16-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #6

It would be good to hear what your friend says Angieh. Dandysmom - I don't know much about essential oils either. I must say we have had the same again this morning. I have had the best 3 nights sleeps in months, and so have the animals it seems even though they had no problems before.

Catsey Veteran

16-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #7

That's wonderful Manyana13 - although I am no expert, I do think aromatherapy can be very beneficial. I found this easy to read link that may be of help -

http://www.safealternativemedicine.c...apybasics.html

Here is a link about aromatherapy and other holistic remedies and animal use

http://www.essentialanimals.com/

I have just been reading a couple of case studies from that last link and am sitting here with tears in my eyes. The effect of using essential oils with animals can seem to be miraculously quick and rather confirms the experiences that Manyana13 has had with her cats and dog and that I have had with Monty. I certainly am going to explore this further.

Catsey Senior

16-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #8

Wow. I had no idea how powerful it could be. I have tears in my eyes too! I think I will be exploring this more too. It really is interesting! Thanks for links Angieh.