Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #1

PVC doors + Cat flaps

We use the living room/kitchen area to sit in to relax with the animals and the door out into the utility room has a PVC door. Always thought it impossible to get cat flaps on a PVC door - however last week the rescue we got Mindy from had such a cat flap built in

It so happened that my brother had to get the guy out that put their doors/windows in last week as my nephew opened his window too far out - he forgot to close it and a sea breeze snapped it too far back and of course it wouldn't close - guess who was in trouble As this PVC door of ours would not lock we asked my brother if the man would have a look at ours sometime - so he came up the same day and whilst here I asked if it would be possible to get a cat flap in the door and he said - yes. He would have to take out the beveled panel and replace it with a flat one with the cat flap in it.

So yesterday he brought the panel with cat flap and installed it and Tim and Amber have taken to it like a duck to water. It is great. I used to be up and down like a yo-yo letting them in and out, not that i minded I might add but this makes them so independent. It had a magnet attached to the flap and door so that when it closed the magnet kept it in place however I found that this put Tim off going in and out, so deftly removed the magnet - can always put it back on at some later date if need be, maybe winter time.

Mindy watches the to and fro with great interest, somehow i don't think it will be long before she attempts to go through the cat flap too I hope they all get on a bit better before that happens

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #2

Re: PVC doors + Cat flaps

The cat flap does make life easier, doesn't it

We had a 4-way cat flap fitted into our UPVC door at the same time as we had our windows replaced - that was 14 years ago. Cassie goes in and out during the day but I always lock her in at night.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
The cat flap does make life easier, doesn't it

We had a 4-way cat flap fitted into our UPVC door at the same time as we had our windows replaced - that was 14 years ago. Cassie goes in and out during the day but I always lock her in at night.
This is the Staywell 4-way cat flap. I actually had it as a replacement for the one into the cat run as it is faulty (have to get another one now) & yes we bring ours in at night also. Think Amber would like to stay out all
night in the run, we feel shes safer indoors

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #4

That worked out very well! Glad it's a success.