Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
19-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #11

Re: Choosing a Cattery...Help Please!!

i should have looked here before posting!!! some really good advice

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short haired cross
19-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #12

I have never put this cat into a cattery. However, another cat I had did go into a couple over the years I had her.

She went to one cattery, that was small (about 10 cages). When I collected her, she was happy to see me.

That cattery closed down, and she went to another, bigger one. She was there for two weeks, and wasn't very happy when she came home.

I think larger catteries mean more noise and less individual attention for a cat. They also seem to be more stressful.

If I were to look for a cattery now, I'd certainly take my cat to the smallest I could find.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixed
19-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #13

Best advice has already been given. Try and use a recommended one if possible and definitely go and visit. The first time I had to use a cattery my mind was totally put at rest, as I could tell immediately that the owners really loved what they did. They gave advice, like bringing something that would have my scent and also a favorite toy and also asked about the kind of food and feeding routine. Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
21-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #14

look around all the catteries without giving them notice (just check opening times) they should let you in if its not feeding time, they should have nothing to hide. Make sure they are clean, smell right, the cats look ok in there (and I usually see if there are good breeds, as owners wouldnt leave expensive cats just anywhere) also check out the owners knowledge of cats and interest in your cat. Mine asked about my cats temperament and diet and was genuienly concerned.
when leaving your cat, wear a t shirt or dressing gown for a week without washing it (even in bed) and then put that in the cattery pen with your cat, there should be enough scent on it for 2 weeks so your cat feels settled and smells home and you around them.