Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Shorthair
04-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #1

Choosing a Cattery...Help Please!!

I have a 3 year old cat - Daisy.

I need to put her into a cattery for 8 days in July, and am really struggling.

Ive been recommended one by some friends, but when I have googled it, the reviews have not been so great.

Can you please give me some ideas of what I should be looking for?

Or is anyone local to Bromley, Kent that has any recommendataions?

She is my baby girl so I am SO nervous of leaving her!!
Starting to wish I hadnt booked this holiday now...

Any comments or suggestions you may have are very welcome!!

Thank you!! xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #2

Re: Choosing a Cattery...Help Please!!

Sorry emsie - I can't offer any advise as I've never used a cattery.

Only alternative is to leave your darlings at home with a friend you trust popping in twice a day to feed and give them cuddles. I used to do this for a friend and did it very happily!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
04-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #3

There is an organisation called Feline Advisory Bureau and they have lists of approved catteries on their website, this is how we found the lovely one we're going to be using in June. The list is now static as for some reason they have stopped doing these appraisals. You really need to visit the catteries yourself to see what they offer and decide if it's what you want, the catteries on the list will all be very happy for you to visit.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #4

Leaving your cat in a Cattery for the first time can be very stressful for you, your pet very often settles in fine after a day or two. I think it is important to visit the Cattery first to see the layout and how it is run.

I've used the same Cattery for over 20 years with my first cat and now Cassie. I chose one that was just outside the town in a rural setting where it would be quieter.
I could tell straight away that the owners of the Cattery were animal lovers by the way they reacted to the cats in their care. They provide whatever food your cat is used to and will administer medication if they need it (I'm not sure all catteries will do this though). Every good Cattery will need to see your cat's up to date vaccination card.

Take some toys and your cats' favourite blanket in, it will help him/her settle.

Have a look here for more info on Catteries.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
04-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #5

I would ask for reccomendations from friends with cats as you have done. You see if you trust the friend and they have no issues and the reviews say different - I would trust my friend not an annomous rview who is to say they are true "views" not someone with a grudge???

Visit the cattery uninvited so to speak, just say you were passing and ask if it is okay to look around? get a feeling for the place, and check where your cat will be left you have to trust your gut its scary though.

You could ask for reccomendations from the council they have to "check out catteries" I am not sure which dept but sure someone could tell you. Ask in your vets as well see if they have been given the inside info on good or bad ones.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #6

Does she have to go into a cattery? Would you consider a pet sitter? I am a pet sitter/dog walker in Scotland and have many very happy customers.
Should you go down this route then please always ask to see their insurance etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #7

I have a friend who is a Pet Sitter in Cambs, you would probably be outside her range however I could ask her if there is anyone in the London area she could recommend if you want to go that route?

I had to leave our two into the cattery for a half a day whilst getting noisy work done in the house a few months ago. Then, we used the cattery in the Vets. Could that be an option, does your Vet have a cattery?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
05-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #8

Make sure you visit as many as possible to see what you think. I spent ages scouring catteries until I was sure that they were suitable. Look for cleanliness, space, ask what food they have, do they have quieter pens for nervous cats.

Closer to the time wear a jumper, t shirt or dressing gown for a week without washing it, sleep in it and then leave it with your baby in the pen and that will allow her to have your scent around her while you are gone. This will be comforting for her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
05-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
There is an organisation called Feline Advisory Bureau and they have lists of approved catteries on their website, this is how we found the lovely one we're going to be using in June. The list is now static as for some reason they have stopped doing these appraisals. You really need to visit the catteries yourself to see what they offer and decide if it's what you want, the catteries on the list will all be very happy for you to visit.
The FAB list is obsolete and all those on it will remain without ANY sort of scrutiny (not that the FAB ever did any checking) for 4yrs!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
05-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #10

I manage a kennels and cattery, any questions, just ask.