Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
22-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Advise please :-)

Hello everyone

Just after some advise! Jerry is currently going through another bout of cystitis ( it's been over 12 months since the last bout, he was doing so well!)
We have been to the vets and have all the usual pills.

Anyway, after the last nasty bout he had last year, he was put on royal canin so food for about 6 months. However I wasn't happy feeding him this food long term and I wanted to try and get him onto a complete wet food diet. He has been being fed on feline fayre since coming off the SO and has loved it, he did not however take to having a strictly wet diet so I started giving him James Wellbeloved daily as well as the wet food, I chose this food as it has cranberry in to help keep the urine tract healthy. Anyway since this latest flare up, I think that it would maybe be best for Jerry to put him on a complete wet diet, no matter how much he complains!
My question is, how many pouches of food should I give him a day? The box suggests 4 a day but this seems like an awful lot to be feeding him!
Thanks in advance for any replies, hope you are all well

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #2

Re: Advise please :-)

Hi Erin! Good to hear from you again. Sorry to hear about poor Jerry.

I am not sure - do you know what weight he is now? I guess you do and that's how you are judging the four pouches. Is he over/under weight do you think?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Hello Erin, it's good to hear from you again!

Sorry to hear Jerry is suffering another bout of cystitis, poor boy.

Fortunately I've never had that problem with Cassie so I'll leave any good advice for other members to reply.

However, Cassie is on a wet diet and I give her between 2 and 3 pouches a day..... sometimes she is satisfied with just 2. I do add a small sprinkle of biscuits on top of the wet food feed.

I can't remember how old Jerry is now but Cassie is 14 and being a senior, she may not need as much as a younger cat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
22-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #4

Hi

Our 16 & 14 month old cats eat between them every day between 6-8 sachets of wet food plus a dishful of dry kibble. The kitten eats two and half sachets of kitten food

So no, i dont think 4 sachets of wet food a day is a lot for an adult cat

Catsey Veteran

22-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #5

Hi both, thanks for your replies. Mags Jerry is 5 and a half now I was thinking more along the the line of 2/3 pouches a day, he doesn't eat all of the wet he has now, I know that that will change with the absence of the dry food.
Angie Jerry is 5 kilos spot on (weighed today) so slightly over weight but it's coming off slowly, he was 5 and a half the last time he was weighed at the vets!
I think it's maybe going to be trial and error to start with, I just don't want to over feed him and he start putting the weigh back on cause that will only add to the problem! I'll start will 3 pouches tomorrow and see how we get on. He's not at all happy then I've moved his crunchies, he's very food at making me feel bad!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Hi both, thanks for your replies. Mags Jerry is 5 and a half now I was thinking more along the the line of 2/3 pouches a day, he doesn't eat all of the wet he has now, I know that that will change with the absence of the dry food.
Angie Jerry is 5 kilos spot on (weighed today) so slightly over weight but it's coming off slowly, he was 5 and a half the last time he was weighed at the vets!
I think it's maybe going to be trial and error to start with, I just don't want to over feed him and he start putting the weigh back on cause that will only add to the problem! I'll start will 3 pouches tomorrow and see how we get on. He's not at all happy then I've moved his crunchies, he's very food at making me feel bad!
Erin, do you think we can have a photo of Jerry please ......... just to see what size he is of course!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #7

Hi, Erin, nice to see you again; why not try sprinkling a bit of dry on top of the wet as Mags and I do; I find it gets them started eating, especially if it's a tin of something she's not especially fond of.

Pic would indeed be appreciated ... been a long time!

Catsey Veteran

22-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #8

Hi DM yeah I think I'll try that with the SO food again, I did try putting a bit of water on his James Wellbeloved but he refused to eat it, he is very fussy!
I'll get a pic up for you when I get to my laptop. On my phone at the moment.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #9

I think that's good advice and see how he goes on. Can't have Mr Jerry going hungry!

Catsey Veteran

22-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I think that's good advice and see how he goes on. Can't have Mr Jerry going hungry!
Oh he would never allow me to let him go hungry