Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

11-07-2006, 12:20 AM   #1

How to tell cats off?

Hi everyone,

I really need a noise that I can use that tells the cats they are doing something naughty (like climbing in the dishwasher, or trying to get in the rats cage
)

I've tried clapping my hands, hissing, saying "no" in a firm voice and they totally ignore all of them.

I don't want to scare them, but they do need to know that somethings aren't acceptable.

What noises do you use?

Olivia

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-07-2006, 02:03 AM   #2

Re: How to tell cats off?

A really really loud "NO!!!" usually worked for me; sometimes it's easier to distract them with something else (short attention spans!) like a toy or a string...

Catsey Junior

11-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #3

or spray bottle.lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #4

Oh yeah, forgot that! Or just a sprinkle of water from your hand complete with the really loud "NO!".

Catsey Junior

11-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #5

everyone loves the spray bottle, dunno why.lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #6

Some pebbles in a drinks can has also been suggested elsewhere. A short, sharp rattle of this would startle (rather than scare), and coupled with a stern 'no' might do the trick.

Alsoc, consider gently blowing in their face - again with the word 'no' so they begin to get the assocation between action and words.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #7

Cassie gets a firm NO! from me......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
11-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #8

Isn't this odd my two never needed to be "told off" or even gently rebuked, they have never (that I recall) done anything I have considered warranted a telling off. Maybe I have angel cats

Catsey Junior

11-07-2006, 06:42 PM   #9

Well I've tried most of these and they totally ignore me.

So I think I'm going to end up with naughty cats, and reserve a water spray for VERY serious things (like terrorising ratties).

Olivia

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
11-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Isn't this odd my two never needed to be "told off" or even gently rebuked, they have never (that I recall) done anything I have considered warranted a telling off. Maybe I have angel cats
I'm sure I'm going to eat these words with no small interest rate, but I've got the same thing. At worst I've had to hide the toilet paper (Dishrag went mad for it, we always reckoned his parents were killed by a rogue looroll)... With my current lot, Jigsaw has to be told not to go up on the counter and we need to keep the lid on the bin so Sweep (that mad monkey!) doesn't try to be stealthy whilst knocking over the bin to nose around inside

So, anyway... Aside from them bringing the house down around my ears, they're very well-behaved

A loud NO works for me. Jasmine and Rufus's daddy uses a specific type of loud fingerclicking as well.

That said, I really don't know how I've gotten so lucky... That's (past and present included) 8 cats I've owned and not a single one has ever truly driven me to distraction (Ninja doesn't count as he didn't do anything bad - he just needed to be coaxed out of his shell). Either I'm just oblivious or I'm a hell of a lucky duck!