Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #41

Re: Elsa update...HELP!!

I was looking back at some photos n vids this afternoon-in actual fact, Elsa wasn't allways like she is now....she was allways timid and skittish but she had, had an iffy start anyway...its only after all that business at the vets when she went 'strange' and started to fear people totally-maybe there is something tied in with this t hat could overcome this problem?
noticed this pic on my photobucket thing...would be lovely to have this back again!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
02-07-2006, 06:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
Well we have a decision (for now)....we will book her in for speying ASAP and see how things progress from there...i'm not totally sure if it will resolve things but thats JMO. If there isn't an improvement after speying then we will rehome her. I have question..how on earth will i get her to rest whilst re-couping from the op?!?!
Its going to be near impossible as she doesnt stand anyone near her so how on earth are we to settle her down, stop her attacking her stiches etc?!?!?!?!?!?!!
Put her in a dog cage/kitten pen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Good Morning Everyone
Thanks for your advice! We have come this far...so im not gonna give in that easily!!
She seems quite calm today..she still spat at me when i walked past her earlier..but none the less, quite calm. Her behaviour is concerning in itself...but an incident occured this morning...she was in that foul mood, so goes for one of the dogs..her once beloved Florrie would you believe it, Florrie goes to 'bite' back..and it turned into warefare..cause Polly joined in aswell! This has been one thing that for so long has been niggling away at me...i know the dogs are soppy and love the cats..but what if..what if one day she goes for them or attacks them and they retalliate..its come very close before (like this morning) but i have allways been there to break it up, but what if next time i'm not?!?!
I just intend on letting her do her on thing today and stay out of her way for a bit..
My cats and dogs are always fine together, and have never had a fight like you have described, but still I never leave them alone together when i'm not there, as I wouldn't leave them alone with my son (3yrs). I trust them with my life and I don't think they would every hurt anyone, but any animal can turn. At the end of the day any human can turn

So just don't leave them alone together and nothing will occur

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
My cats and dogs are always fine together, and have never had a fight like you have described, but still I never leave them alone together when i'm not there, as I wouldn't leave them alone with my son (3yrs). I trust them with my life and I don't think they would every hurt anyone, but any animal can turn. At the end of the day any human can turn

So just don't leave them alone together and nothing will occur
Hmmmn it seems strange to have to seperate the "family" from each other..they once were all so close-if it prevents any more big scraps though...
Maybe the speying will settle things down and restore some sort of sanity to Elsa and the household

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
02-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #45

But it's not a family Luke. They dont get on and someone could get badly hurt.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
02-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Hmmmn it seems strange to have to seperate the "family" from each other..they once were all so close-if it prevents any more big scraps though...
Maybe the speying will settle things down and restore some sort of sanity to Elsa and the household
Surely better than one of them being killed? They can still have time together under supervision.

My tabs was never handled as a kitten, we had to hand rear her as she was tiny when we got her, and we were pretty much the first human contact she'd had. I was only 7 at the time, so my dad did most of the work.

She is 14 now, she will 'tolerate' people to a certain extent. She doesn't like being picked up, cuddled, stroked, she doesn't even like being in the same room as us. She HATES the other animals. Spaying did calm her down somewhat, but it didn't make her miraculously want to sit on my lap and purr, I don't even remember ever hearing her purr...

She likes to stay outside, she likes to catch birds and mice, and she likes her own space. She likes my Border CollieX, Charlie. She will lay with him in the garden, BUT NO ONE ELSE! Not even another cat. She WILL NOT stay in the same room as another animal, not even a hamster.

She doesn't like being in the same room as people anyway, if you bring her in the living room, she will sit by the door, paw at it, mew, and when it is opened she will run as fast as her chubby legs will carry her to the back door.

She likes sleeping in her bed in the wash-house, undisturbed. If anyone else is in the wash-house, she hates it in there and wants to be outside.

She hates the vet, last time she was there she has blood on her stools, I got a fair few scratches putting her in the carry box, I have a one that opens at the top, it's easier for her. Luckily she sleeps indoors 50% of the time, if not she'll be here for brekkie (she loves food). So we trapped her in the utility room and it was easy enuff to put her in the carrier in such a small room. (Not even big enuff to swing a cat! lol SORRY!)

At the vets he proceeded to call out 3 veterinary nurses and myself to hold her while he took her temp, this was months ago now, she still hates me for it although she did let me stroke her last week without biting.

She doesn't randomly attack us, but then again she doesn't really have the chance. She spends about 80% of her time outdoors, although now she's older she rarely leaves the garden, and mostly just sleeps. When indoors she's either asleep or eating.

BUT, at the end of the day, she is very healthy (vet said one of the healthiest senior cats in his surgery, if a little plump! ) She's happy, and although we don't get the cuddles or the games, or laughs as we do the others, at least she's happy as she is. Maybe this is what Elsa would like, TBH I think spaying will calm her, but you won't see miricles, if you are thinking of rehoming her now, I think you will still go ahead.

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #47

Well....at last she seems to have calmed down from last night (she really is highly strung!)..she has reverted to the bottom of her airing cupboard now and is just very quiet...its quite disturbing how her moods/behaviour can change so drastically.
I'm doing the right thing by seperating the dogs from upstairs arent i?!?1-i've locked the stair gate securely..and am sitting down here on laptop.
Clementine seems to be a bit...worried by Elsa's presence (that might sound ridiculous!!) she has just been very wrestless since Elsa returned to the bottom of the airing cupboard..
We shall see what is said at the vets tomorrow-and will update you about her speying

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #48

Luke, when you see the GP, if he doesn't mention a tetanus shot, ask him!! Years ago when I was younger & dumber, I made the mistake of breaking up a fight my Siamese had gotten into with a ginger tom in our yard...I KNEW the thing to do was throw water on them, or a coat or blanket, but instinct took over, I picked my cat up & he bit the H**L out of my arm (cannot blame him, he thought he was being attacked from behind) and hit a vein...I was bleeding allover the place, got him in the house & called a taxi to get to the ER with an emergency tourniquet made of an old tube sock on my arm... the point of this story is that the hospital insisted that I needed a tetanus shot even though I explained it was my own cat, an indoor cat. So..please ask. As to Elsa, I am in agreement that she should be spayed ASAP and then re-homed if this doesn't improve her disposition. I feel so sorry for her; she had an unfortunate beginning in life & all your love & care just hasn't worked out. I agree she simply cannot stand the stress & just snapped, Poor baby....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
02-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #49

Hiya Luke

Sorry only just picked this thread up. I have to say if she were my cat and attacked like she has with no reason I would have her PTS - no matter how much I loved her MAYBE that should read because of how much I love her.

However if you decide to spay her good I am sure she will be fine and not worry the stiches - no point worrying before it happens.

Good luck, and take care of yourself cat bites can be worse than dog bites make sure you go to the Doctors.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #50

Do they still use the stitches that dissolve, or is this a matter of preference with vets? Years ago when Misty was spayed she had the dissolving ones & didn't have to go back in. When Leia was spayed about 6 1/2 years ago she had vivid purple stitches that the vet had to remove...she never tried to pull them herself, although I understand many cats do. If your vet used the dissolving kind, it would save poor Elsa from another trip...just an idea...