Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
01-07-2006, 11:57 PM   #1

Elsa update...HELP!!

Well i write this tonight with arms covered in blood and a heavy heart
You all know Elsa is a bit erm...strange due to various behavioural issues she has...shes very timid. petrified of people, cant stand to be touched etc
Well when she was a lot younger she had this attacking thing-v nasty at times!! And seemingly we had gotten through it...but it seems to have returned with a vengance. i was sitting on the sofa..she comes in...jumps on the sofa opposite to me and just watches (strange i know) and all of a sudden pounces over and just rips my arm to pieces...me screaming didnt help im sure but what could i do?!?!
She would NOT let go...she had her teeth and claws sunk right into the skin! As i'm here on my own (till monday) as mum is away on family business...i was genuinley worried. Managed to get to the kitchen (cat still attached min!) and get some water to throw on her...this finally got her off. And my arms by this time are just dripping red...Elsa then charges at my leg but i manage to thwart her attempt and have shut her away in the kitchen (with bed, litter tray and food-see im still caring!)

Now this was totally unprevoked and totally out of control!! Her timidness is sorta forming into visciousness-she has been attacking Clementine for no reason and hissing at the dogs (bar her florrie!)..
I thought maybe it was because of Ralph entering the house....but as it was pointed out she had started to become more 'viscious and odd' prior to his arrival. I really don't know what to do...i've spoke to the vet NUMEROUS times..and we have tried EVERYTHING!!
Behaviourists...the advice they offer and actions they take just seems to make her more strung out TBH
reading all the books
LOADS of tests to see if she has something medically wrong with her.
Tried seperating her from the other pets
Tried doing things on her terms
tried keeping her as a house cat-this didnt work so tried letting her come and go as she pleases
Tried all the 'relaxant' sprays/oils *i think thats right* and everything
tried clicker training
tried food reward basis
NOTHING will work-she had a phase where she made progress but it dwindled away for some reason..
What do i do?
She has not YET been speyed...this is something we are in the process of organising...but the vet is very inclined to have a fool proof plan of how/when to do it so it will cause Elsa as little as distress as possible..i have been told this may make a slight difference to her behaviour..but its the temperament that seems to be a bit iffy at the moment
I could cope with her being timid and not being able to touch her...but i can not (and IMO shouldnt be expected) to cope with a pet that attacks people and the other pets for no reason.
For benefit of newer members...Elsa came from a strange friend of a friend of my aunts who in actual fact is nowt but a filthy BYB!!...her littermates (bar one) died shortly after birth..she was fostered off to a persian with a litter of a similar age sired by the same cat...but they were kept in this sorta cubby hole/cupboard thing in a library/study-NO human socilisation. This topped off with being v-ill when she first came here and having to be at the vets all the time...and hardly at home for the first few months (on and off) of her time here!-we knew this had 'scarred' her (according to our vet) but maybe its a little deeper than we thought...
So do you have any ideas/advice to try/give?!?!?!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
02-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #2

Re: Elsa update...HELP!!

I am not sure what to say Luke, I hope someone on here will be able to offer more advice - make sure you clean yourself and maybe salt water and then antiseptic - any worries contact your out of hour GP tomorrow.

It may be the hot weather? x

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet
I am not sure what to say Luke, I hope someone on here will be able to offer more advice - make sure you clean yourself and maybe salt water and then antiseptic - any worries contact your out of hour GP tomorrow.

It may be the hot weather? x
Thanks Julie...it could be but there has been this odd *feeling* around the house today...the animals have all steer cleared of Elsa today..v-strange, almost as if something was building in the house (i sound as if i have lost it dont i?!?!)
Ive cleaned up all the wounds...there are four quite large ones on my right arm n hand..and lots and lots of small 'puncture marks' *thats what you would call them i think?* and there are 3 fair sized cuts on my left arm and a few puncutre marks on my left hand...the right one took the main bashing!!
I popped my head around the kitchen door and she was asleep without a care in the world..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
02-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #4

Has she had a season, is she due?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdoll
02-07-2006, 12:23 AM   #5

Sorry i can't help you Luke, hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
02-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #6

Have you spoken to Wizz - she is very good and will be very honest with you.

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 12:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
Has she had a season, is she due?
She has had a few calls (dont worry she is kept securley in when calling-that will be sorted soon!) But she isnt due again for a good while yet...but when approaching/in call shes allways much mellower than usual!

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 01:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyshandy
Have you spoken to Wizz - she is very good and will be very honest with you.

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/
Thanks for the link Candyshandy-i will contact her tomorrow!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-07-2006, 02:39 AM   #9

Luke, do cats have to have rabies shots in the UK? Can you get to an ER to have those wounds looked at and treated...cat bites, especially deep ones can get infected. Right now I'm more worried about YOU than Elsa. I have no idea what could have set her off like that, but it's very frightening; you don't know what set her off & don't know when it will recur! Has your vet suggested putting her on tranquilizers...you might want to discuss it with him/her.... please keep us posted!

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
02-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Luke, do cats have to have rabies shots in the UK? Can you get to an ER to have those wounds looked at and treated...cat bites, especially deep ones can get infected. Right now I'm more worried about YOU than Elsa. I have no idea what could have set her off like that, but it's very frightening; you don't know what set her off & don't know when it will recur! Has your vet suggested putting her on tranquilizers...you might want to discuss it with him/her.... please keep us posted!
To my knowledge we do not vaccinate for rabies over here (i may be wrong)...she is settled down now and still asleep...i am off to bed shortlly, just got off the phone to me mam...the reaction i got was usually mumsy fretting stuff!
I will make an appointment to see our vet a.s.a.p and take it from there..
The cuts are all washed out, stopped bleeding, cream on and plasters everywhere-right sight i look