Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
30-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #1

B.A.R.F-Recommended Mincers UK and US

Just a thought for anyone considering going BARF. Although I give my boy raw meat often, I feel that it's important he should have the bones too, so I'm going to try introducing some organic minced meat and bones.

After an hour or so researching for a reasonably priced but decent grinder that will actually handle bones as well (chicken, rabbit, not beef or deer) I found out that most will set you back over £100+ and most meat grinder manufacturers can't profess to grind bones.
However, after reading many, many, reviews from users I found that some do.
The one I was most impressed with, AND it's currently half price!!! Andrew James 1800 watt

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&*entries*=0

Note: As with most grinders it's best to pass the bones through a couple of times.

If you live in the USA more pricier than the above but has very good reviews and can be bought on Am*zon too: STX International STX-3000 Turboforce 3 speed

http://www.best-grinders.com/bone-grinder/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-05-2015, 10:56 PM   #2

Re: B.A.R.F-Recommended Mincers UK and US

Thanks for passing on that research Truth. I have tried my two on Nature's Menu RAW with no success and have a few unopened boxes still in my freezer. I would be willing to pass them on to anyone who lives near enough to me to collect with a cool bag!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
31-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #3

We tried a raw chicken diet with the dogs, specifically for the big lurcher but he went off it. We got boxes of chicken wings and froze them in portions but he is a very lazy eater. We didn't mince them, just gave them partially thawed. The dogs didn't have a problem scrunching them up. We suggested this to someone we know who has a King Charles who had trouble with his anal glands. The vet was giving him all sorts and charging a fortune. Buster is doing great and he can cope with wings. He loves them. We give Fecto raw beef mince, which he loves and he's put weight back on.

Is there a rescue centre near you Angie that would take your spare food? Every so often I have a clear out of food the cats won't eat and give it away.

Catsey Senior

31-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks for passing on that research Truth. I have tried my two on Nature's Menu RAW with no success and have a few unopened boxes still in my freezer. I would be willing to pass them on to anyone who lives near enough to me to collect with a cool bag!
OOh! I've PM'd you angie, guess what for?!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
31-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #5

I've PM'd you back!!!

My dogs love their RAW - they get Skinner's kibble for breakfast and RAW for supper. We certainly noticed a difference with Monty - he became an eager eater and gets excited for his supper. He's a changed boy.

Catsey Senior

07-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #6

Gratefully received, thanks so much angie!

The Andrew James mincer lives up to it's reviews. Minces bones, no sharp edges. (Warning: Unpleasant content ..!) Poor chicken

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #7

Harvey had got depressed& lost his appetite he shouldnt have raw anything because of the high protein count but sometimes needs must & its better he eats something than not. Four packets of tripe & 2 x chick & tripe. Offered some tripe to
Pup, oh her face, she didnt know what to do. I now have two eager feeders. Just mix it into their kibble. If i gave it on its own, the kibble would never be touched.

Chloe likes the raw tripe (cat)

I give frozen/defrosted chicken wings too. Have done for years. Cat wise Henri & Misty will gnaw a wing & what they leave the dogs finish off

Truth that mincer looks good. I asked a butcher to Mince me some chick breast recently but he refused said it was meat only

Cats owned: 2 x Domestic Shorthair
17-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

My pup is a really fussy eater but I have tried him with a few chicken wings and some raw steak and he loves it so am going to put him and the cats on raw (I did used to feed my big dog raw for a long time and he did great on it).

I have tried Jinx with chicken wings and he likes them so just hoping Aramis will like raw too as I've bought a freezer and placed an order but haven't actually tested him yet. I have been feeding encore tins and lilys kitchen dry which is probably the closest you will get to raw in a pack but it costs an arm and a leg at around £25 a week for 2 small kittens.