Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: moggy
28-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #1

Cat Lovers Warning

CAT LOVERS WARNING....DO NOT USE ANTI BACTERIAL CLEANER, DETOL, ZOFLORA that contains BENZALKONIUM CHLORIDE, which on research from many questions thrown at me from my vet, I checked out ASDA’s antibacterial spray (inclusive of TESCO’s too) which reads....
‘Do not allow pets especially cats to walk across treated areas until dry or to lick surfaces that have been sprayed or wiped.’
Research shows that this chemical can be extremely FATAL for cats within 12 hours causing signs of poisoning, cyanosis, open mouthed breathing, anorexia, vomiting, salivation, pyrexia, abdominal tenderness and eventually collapse.
All reported cases of this has resulted from cats walking over treated surfaces that are not dry and injecting quantities of the substance through cleaning themselves.
So if you like any other cat lover and don’t check ingredients on household cleaners, BEWARE you too could be like me who has had to have four cat in less than 24 hours admitted, 1 of which we had to put to sleep yesterday from renal failure and diminishing heart function. The other three, 2 of which are fighting for their lives right now, the tom who is out all day has only a mild case.
So take this advice check your bottles, I have dumped Wilkinson Brand and a one from a pound shop with the same in now and will not use anti bacterial cleaners again. Please be warned that this chemical is in many antiseptics too, although I have not checked the savlon in the house I sometimes use on cut for them I will defo check it before I do. My only good point of this is that all 4 are insured, but the excess today is just £100 each, bang go my monthly wages today. So if your careless like me, and there not insured, just be warned for the first 2 to be seen admitted and have bloods done the bill was £450, so god only knows what its like now with all 4 in the vets, and the excellent care they gave splash to help her live ‘SPLASH’, however this was not to be as she was put to sleep after only 24hrs from admittance to the vets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #2

Re: Cat Lovers Warning

Dear god, I am so sorry you and your cats are going through this, I was actually aware that these products can cause ARF and am therefore carefull with these things.
I sincerely hope the others pull through, my thoughts are with you xxx

28-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #3

Elaine what is ARF?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

Acute Renal Failure.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

I have actually switched to using white vinegar/water spray for worktop cleaning. I am very sorry to hear that your cat had to be pts and what you are going through.

It is a timely warning for others and thanks for raising the issue.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
30-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #6

So so sorry to hear this & thank you for the warning x

30-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #7

Update on my babies, today I have been able to bring home SHADOW, STEPHANIE & EMMI, the boys Stephy & Shads have enlarged livers, however the vet is happy for them to come home for the time being, but still more to be done.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #8

That's good news that they are home. Healing vibes being sent for continued recovery.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
01-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #9

A step in the right direction, hoping for many more in the near future.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
03-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #10

Hope all your cats's and kittens are getting better!! Checked our cleaner and it's a "Fabreeze" and has no warnings on it and doesn't include BENZALKONIUM CHLORIDE either!! So hopefully be ok!! Thanks for the warning!!